Professional Development for Educators & Teacher License Renewal
The School of Education offers professional development coursework to educators wishing to satisfy licensure or recertification requirements, or simply improve their content knowledge and teaching practices. Professional development courses are offered in a variety of formats including online, on campus and hybrid—at a reduced tuition rate of $200 per credit hour. Professional Development students are not required to pay the per semester university fee.
Explore our opportunities below.
- Certificate of Graduate Studies in Autism (12 credits)
- Certificate of Graduate Studies in Christian Education (9 credits)
- Certificate of Graduate Studies in Gifted & Talented Education for Teachers (17 credits)
- Certificate of Graduate Studies in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) (10 credits)
- Certificate of Graduate Studies in TESOL – Adult Education-Collegiate (15-18 credits)
- Certificate of Graduate Studies in TESOL – K-12 (15 credits)
- Certificate in the Law & Higher Education (9 credits)
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Advancing Leadership (CAL) (9 credits)
- Martinson Center for Math and Science (1-3 credits)
- Professional License Renewal – The School of Education offers coursework that may be used for licensure renewal. Three semester hours of acceptable college credit — as defined by your school division — may be used to obtain a minimum of 90 renewal points. For details on the licensure renewal process, visit the Virginia Department of Education’s Virginia Licensure Renewal Manual.
Other individual course options
- School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA) Test Preparation (2 credits)
- Pathway to a Master of Education (M.Ed.)
Up to 9 credits can be taken for graduate credit at a reduced tuition rate and transferred into a degree-seeking program in any of the following areas:
- Christian School Administration
- Curriculum & Instruction – Adult Education
- Curriculum & Instruction – Christian School
- Curriculum & Instruction – Gifted & Talented (Endorsement Option)
- Curriculum & Instruction – Gifted & Talented (Non-Endorsement Option)
- Curriculum & Instruction – STEM Education
- Curriculum & Instruction – Teacher Leader
- Educational Leadership
- Reading Specialist (Endorsement)
- Reading Specialist (without Endorsement)
- Student Affairs
- TESOL – Adult Education-Collegiate
- TESOL – K-12
You may satisfy continuing education requirements or sample Regent’s master’s and specialist level programs through our professional development course offerings. Professional development students may take up to three courses (9 credits) at a discounted rate. Professional Development coursework may then be transferred into a master’s or specialist degree, where applicable.
Step 1: Submit your online application. Select “Graduate.” Then choose “Online.” Select “Nondegree Education” for your desired program. Indicate the term you want to begin the course and click “Part-time.”
Step 2: Provide verification of a bachelor’s degree. Email to email@example.com using the subject line: SOE Nondegree Application Pieces or fax to 757.352.4725.
Note: Professional Development students are not eligible to register for courses in the following programs: Career Switcher, B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies, M.Ed. Individualized with Educational Therapy (NILD Coursework), Doctor of Education (Ed.D.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).