Skip navigation
Students at the foyer of Regent University's library, which bears flags of our international students' countries.

International Students

Regent University equips students all over the world to live a life of significance and to make a difference. Regent’s alumni live in 141 countries and 90 countries are represented here this semester. The biblical principles integrated within each of our academic programs will empower you for more effective leadership and the possibility of changing your world. Any student who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States is classified as an international student. International students are non-immigrants to the United States, and some will be applying for a temporary U.S. visa to study on-campus. Regent is an SEVP-certified school, authorized by the Federal government to enroll F-1 nonimmigrant students in many of our on-campus programs. However, students enrolling in fully online degree programs are not eligible for F-1 student visa status.

Apply Today

Are you an international student interested in pursuing a degree at Regent University? Use our Program Finder to find the right program for you!

Applying to Regent University is a multi-step process. Carefully review the information below to prepare you to apply at Regent University.

Once you are ready to begin the process, click on the Apply Online link to submit your online application.

For questions about our international student admissions, call 1.800.846.4198 or email us at

Regent University’s accrediting agency, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, requires official transcripts. An official transcript is defined as being received by Regent University in a sealed envelope or via direct electronic delivery from the previous educational institution or evaluation agency.

Undergraduate applicants

Applicants interested in pursuing an Associate or Bachelor’s degree program must submit official transcripts from all institutions attended, including high school and any college.

Master’s degree applicants

Applicants interested in pursuing a Master’s degree must submit official transcripts indicating successful completion of a bachelor’s degree program.

Doctoral degree applicants

Applicants interested in pursuing a Doctoral degree must submit official transcripts indicating successful completion of both a bachelor’s and master’s degree program.

Regent University requires all transcripts from institutions outside of the United States receive a course-by-course or detailed evaluation from a professional evaluation agency that is either accredited through or who is a member of NACES, AACRAO, or NAFSA. All other course-by-course or document level, detailed evaluations will be reviewed on an individual basis. Applicants are responsible for the cost of this evaluation as an application requirement for admission.

Additional information regarding acceptable transcript evaluation agencies may be found by visiting NACES, AACRAO, or NAFSA.

Educational systems often vary between different countries. All transcripts (or mark sheets) that are not from an American institution must undergo a professional evaluation. This evaluation will provide an assessment of the U.S. equivalency of the academic credential(s), which will allow us to determine eligibility for admission.

Applicants are responsible for obtaining the transcript evaluation as part of the application requirements. Regent requires a course-by-course evaluation, and the transcript must be converted to the American Grade Point Average system. Transcripts in a language other than English must also include an official English translation. Information regarding accepted evaluation agencies can be found below to assist you.

Please note: Regent University only requires the submission of the evaluation for international transcripts. There is no need to send a copy of your official international transcript to Regent. The translation and evaluation fees must be paid directly to the agency you contract with to perform the service.

A helpful resource to help determine degree equivalency is the Degree Equivalency Tool, provided by World Education Services. This tool is for informational purposes only and will provide a general U.S. equivalency for the school(s) you have attended. This will help you determine if you have the required credentials for studying at Regent University, before paying for a full evaluation. The Degree Equivalency Tool is free to use, but please note that the results from this tool will not fulfill the transcript evaluation requirement. This tool is limited to post-secondary degrees and recognized degree-granting institutions.

All students enrolled in Regent University are required to be proficient in the English language. For international students in which English is not the primary language of their country, either the TOEFL iBT®, PTE Academic®, Duolingo® or the IELTS® exam must be taken to demonstrate one’s effectiveness with the English language.

English Language Proficiency exam scores are valid for two years after the test date.

Regent University has established minimum required English language proficiency exam scores for admission purposes. These scores have been determined to ensure students have the language proficiency needed to be successful in classes.

ExamMinimum Required Score
PTE Academic61

Students interested in the School of Law will have a higher test score requirement.

An English proficiency exam may be waived for the following circumstances:

  • Non-native speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from postsecondary institutions in English-speaking countries (e.g., the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand);
  • Non-native speakers who have successfully completed at least a two-year postsecondary course of study in which English was the language of instruction;
  • Transfer students from institutions in the United States or Canada whose postsecondary academic course work was favorably evaluated in relation to its demands and duration;

Applicants may request a waiver for the required English language proficiency exam by submitting the Request for Waiver Form. Request forms that are submitted without the required supporting documentation will be disregarded.

Depending on the program that you are applying for, official admissions test scores may be required or recommended. These consist of the GRE test scores for Doctoral or Masters level programs.

Regent University does not require ACT or SAT scores for Undergraduate level programs. These exams are encouraged, however, as there may be scholarship advantages based on those test scores.

Admitted students are those who have received an official offer of admission letter from Regent University, but who have not yet started classes. There may be additional documentation requirements, depending on whether you are admitted to an on-campus or online program, or if your online program requires you to attend an on-campus short-term residency.

Most of our international students who are admitted to on-campus degree programs require an F-1 student visa. The next step in applying for the visa is to submit proof of finances to obtain a Form I-20. Review the information below for instructions regarding how to complete this step.

Students who already have a visa classification that allows for study may not need to change status. Our International Enrollment Specialist can discuss this with you and provide appropriate guidance.

The following estimated costs are to assist non-immigrant international students in budgeting finances for their duration of studies at Regent University and for the university’s preparation of the I-20, which will be used for the F-1 visa application. These estimates are for one year only. It is the student’s responsibility to provide sufficient funds for each year of study, without relying on employment.

The estimates are based on the minimum credit requirement for each academic program. Regent University reserves the right to change tuition or other costs at any time. All costs are estimates only, and actual costs and expenses may vary considerably.


General Fees$1,790
Health Insurance$788
Total Estimated Costs$33,844
General Fees$1,790
Health Insurance$788
Total Estimated Costs$40,513
General Fees$2,685
Health Insurance$788
Total Estimated Costs$51,824
General Fees$2,685
Health Insurance$788
Total Estimated Costs$66,230
General Fees$2,836
Health Insurance$788
Total Estimated Costs$68,815

Students who plan to travel to the U.S. with dependents must seek F-2 visa status for those dependents. Regent University has calculated estimated additional living expenses associated with having dependents with you, and these additional expenses will be reflected on the Form I-20. Financial documents must reflect the ability to support these additional expenses. Please use the following figures, to determine the amount of additional expenses based on the number of dependents that will accompany you.

9-Month Programs (Including Undergraduate & J.D.)12-Month Programs (Including Psy.D.)
Amount Per Dependent$7,433$9,986

As you review the cost of attending a university in the United States, it is important to understand that the potential of aid or student employment through Regent University to international students cannot be guaranteed and should therefore not be expected.

An interested international applicant should seek out all possible means of funding for educational expenses. For information about scholarships for international students, please visit our International Student Financial Aid webpage.

During your first year at Regent University, you will be required to certify that you will have the sum for all estimated expenses by completing a Financial Certification Form. All supporting documents that are required must be translated in English. If you plan to bring your spouse and/or children, a proportionately larger amount of funding must be certified. The first-year expenses include tuition, living expenses, and other estimated expenses to be incurred for books, incidentals, etc.

Finances are not required to be considered for acceptance into the school but must be proven before the I-20 can be issued. Students must keep their financial plan updated during their enrollment at Regent, to include changes in sponsors or other funding sources. Students unable to pay tuition may be dropped from classes, resulting in a termination of non-immigrant status and an immediate need to depart the United States.

For questions regarding your proof of finances, please email

There are two start dates available for F-1 students: August (Fall) and January (Spring). Review the chart below for our preferred Form I-20 issuance deadlines for these start dates. Keep in mind that visa appointment wait times vary by location; once the Form I-20 is issued, you will still need to navigate the visa application and interview process. Students who receive a Form I-20 but are not able to secure the F-1 visa and arrive in the U.S. before their program start date will not be permitted to begin on-campus study.

Start DateAdmissions Application Deadline (Preferred)Form I-20 Issuance Deadline (Preferred)
August (Fall)May 15thJune 15th – Students outside the U.S. without a F-1 visa.

July 15th – Students already in the U.S. on F-1 status.
January (Spring)September 1stOctober 15th – Students outside the U.S. without a F-1 visa.

December 1st – Students already in the U.S. on F-1 status.

Regent University will issue a Form I-20 only after all the following requirements have been met:

  • Submit all required application materials by the established deadline. This includes the Application, Official Transcripts, and proof of English Language Proficiency.
  • Receive an offer of admission from your school of interest by the established deadline.
  • Meet the I-20 issuance requirements by submitting the following items: Enrollment Deposit (if applicable), Financial Certification Form, and copy of current passport.
    • Applicants who are applying from within the United States must also submit proof of their nonimmigrant status. Examples of acceptable documentation are a copy of the original and latest visa, a copy of the I-94 arrival/departure record, or a copy of a Form I-797 change of status approval notice.

Applicants who are already in the U.S. as an F-1 student still need to meet the above requirements and must also submit a copy of the most recent Form I-20 and a copy of your F-1 visa. Once documentation has been submitted and approved, you will need to work with your current school to schedule the transfer of your SEVIS record to Regent University so we can issue your Form I-20.

The Department of State will issue a visa up to 365 days before the program start date listed on the Form I-20. Many locations have long wait times for interviews, so you should plan to navigate the admissions and I-20 processes as early as possible. International Admissions & Advising will not issue a Form I-20 more than one year before your program start date.

Citizens of Canada or Bermuda are not required to apply for the F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Citizens of these countries may apply for F status directly at the port of entry.

Important Information: Do not schedule your visa appointment until you have received your Form I-20. You are not eligible for a F-1 visa without the Form I-20. We cannot expedite or “rush” processing a Form I-20 if you have scheduled a visa interview without an I-20.

Regent University offers degree programs that can be completed entirely online. Students pursuing an online program are not eligible for F-1 student visa status.

Some of Regent’s master’s and doctoral degree programs require attendance at on-campus short-term residency as part of the program. If your program of study includes a short-term residency requirement, please review the following information.

Non-immigrant students participating in on-campus residencies for online degree programs are responsible for ensuring they have proper immigration status for their studies at Regent. An I-20 is required for residency students to apply for an F-1 student visa and to obtain the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry.

Not all of Regent’s on-campus residencies will qualify for I-20 issuance by the University for the on-campus portions of certain online degrees. Please contact your program advisor for further guidance on whether your program qualifies for I-20 issuance.

If you are a non-immigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor or visa waiver program immigration status, you will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree. Please submit all required documents five (5) months prior to your Residency start date. The required documentation includes a copy of your passport and the Financial Certification Form. Documents may be submitted to

We encourage international students to attend Commencement and Commissioning ceremonies in-person. Your degree program may also offer opportunities to attend optional in-person events. Examples include conferences or workshops. These events are not considered academic requirements and will not qualify for F-1 student visa status. Students who wish to attend such events must enter the U.S. under a different visa classification, such as a B1/B2 visitor visa or visa waiver program.

Students enrolled in online master’s or doctoral programs with required dissertations, qualifying exams, or other culminating experiences are expected to complete these requirements remotely. Regent does not require on-campus attendance for these purposes, and we are not permitted to issue a Form I-20 for these purposes. Students may not enter the U.S. on a B1/B2 visitor visa or visa waiver program to complete these requirements in-person.

Students who are under F-1 student status must meet Federal regulatory requirements to maintain that status. Students under other visa classifications do not have the same requirements and restrictions. The information within this section is only applicable to students with F-1 student visa status.

The academic school year begins in August and consists of 3 semesters: Fall, Spring, and Summer. Many degree programs require enrollment in the fall and spring semesters although some degree programs require summer enrollment as well.

Fall semester: Typically begins near the middle of August and ends near the middle of December.

Spring semester: Typically begins in the middle of January and ends in early May.

Summer semester: Typically begins in the middle of May and ends in the middle of August.

You may take summer courses even if it is not required for your program; however, new students may not begin during the summer semester as you must begin your studies at Regent during the fall or spring semesters to allow participation in our International Student Orientation.

F-1 students are required to maintain full-time enrollment during regular semesters. Students in 9-month programs are required to enroll in the Fall and Spring semesters each year. Students in 12-month programs are required to enroll year-round, in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Students who are unsure whether they are enrolled in 9 or 12-month programs will find this information on their Form I-20.

Federal regulations define full-time enrollment for undergraduate students as 12 credit hours per semester. Full-time enrollment for post-bachelor’s degree programs is defined by Regent University in the Graduate Catalog.

Full-Time Enrollment in Credit Hours
Degree LevelFall SemesterSpring SemesterSummer Semester
Master’s Programs*996
J.D. Program10106
Psy.D. Program666

* Including the LL.M. program

Students who enroll at Regent University should expect to take some online courses due to our course rotation. However, students in the F‐1 immigration status are restricted regarding how much online coursework they can take each semester. Only one online class, or three online credit hours, per semester can be used to meet full‐time enrollment requirements when enrolling for the minimum number of credit hours.

For immigration purposes online education is that which does not require a student’s physical attendance for course completion. Students must work closely with the Office of Advising before enrolling in multiple online courses.

Your academic advisor will assist you with advance degree planning and class registration each semester to help assure that the proper number of on-campus credits are assigned and that you are on track for degree completion.

For more information, please email

All Regent University full-time on-campus F-1 international students are required to have continuous 12-month health insurance coverage while pursuing their degree program. This coverage is expected to continue during periods of approved post-completion OPT.

Your health insurance coverage must, at a minimum, provide the following:

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per injury or accident
  • Repatriation of remains benefits of at least $7,500
  • Expenses associated with medical evacuation of the international student to his or her home country for at least $10,000
  • The deductible may not exceed $500 per accident or injury

International students enrolled in online programs that only require short-term on-campus residencies are exempt from this policy.

Regent University has partnered with International Student Insurance (ISO) to offer a group health insurance plan to our students. All enrolled students on an F-1 visa are required to participate in this group plan. Students with dependents may choose to enroll in an alternate approved plan as described in the “Dependents” section below.

For more information contact ISO Customer Care at 800.244.1180 or

Once you enroll with ISO for coverage, our Designated School Officials (DSOs) will be able to verify your coverage with ISO directly.

Students on post-completion OPT are not eligible to enroll in the ISO group health insurance plan. You may purchase an OPTima Plan from ISO, or you can find a plan through another company that provides coverage that meets the minimum requirements described above.

F-1 students are required to have health insurance coverage for their F-2 dependent(s) at all times.

The ISO group coverage plan includes options to purchase coverage for your dependents, under the same benefits as the student. ISO also offers the Voyager Plan for spouses. It is important to note that the Voyager plan does not cover pregnancy/maternity and has an 18-month waiting period on pre-existing conditions. Regent University has also approved the Liaison Student Travel Medical Insurance Plans available with Seven Corners, Inc.

Students should carefully review the available options for dependent coverage before choosing which plan to purchase. Proof of coverage will need to be submitted to the International Admissions & Advising team, if purchasing the plan from Seven Corners. Students with dependents who choose Seven Corners for coverage may also use Seven Corners; it is not necessary for the student to enroll in the ISO plan and purchase separate coverage for dependents.

Regent University offers minor healthcare services and care on-campus through our Health Center. A nurse practitioner is available to all students and can provide a higher level of care than a nurse and has the authority to write prescriptions, if needed.

A portion of the University Services Fees for on-campus students grant students the ability to visit the Health Center as often as necessary. Dependents are not eligible to visit the University Health Center.

There are very limited circumstances where Regent University will waive the obligation for F-1 visa students to participate in the group coverage plan with ISO. Cases where an exemption may be possible include:

  • Student’s parent or spouse is employed by an American organization providing health insurance via a U.S. based insurance provider.
  • Embassy-sponsored students where the embassy is directly funding tuition & fees, living expenses, and health insurance. Health insurance must be from a U.S. based company and the coverage is equal to or greater than the benefits required by Regent University. A copy of the current sponsorship letter must be on file with the Office of International Admissions & Advising.

If you meet one of the two waiver eligibilities above, please email to request a waiver.

Waivers must be requested prior to registration for each term of enrollment (Fall, Spring or Summer); an approval from a previous semester is not a guarantee of approval for a new request.

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), “There are no vaccination requirements for visitors to the United States.”.

Regent University does not require any vaccinations but encourages all students to have a medical evaluation and immunizations, in particular, Hepatitis B and Meningococcal.

For information about Regent’s vaccination policy, please refer to the Student Handbook.

Immigration regulations permit international students who have maintained their legal F‐1 status to work on‐campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and more hours during school breaks. Off-campus employment options are limited and require prior authorization. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss off-campus employment opportunities with the Office of International Admissions & Advising for further guidance.

Working for more hours than permitted or without proper authorization (off campus) is a serious violation of the F‐1 immigration status, which can lead to a student’s deportation.

Students who have not already been assigned a United States Social Security Number (SSN) must apply to obtain one before any payment for on-campus employment can be issued. International Admissions & Advising can assist students who have received a job offer in applying for an SSN. On-campus employment is not guaranteed and will not financially support a student’s tuition or living expenses while in the United States.

Be prepared to bring start‐up funds for incidentals such as a cell phone, bedding, kitchen supplies, books, and food. Students who plan to live off-campus may need to pay a security deposit for utilities and rent.

It is estimated that a student should have a minimum of $2,000 available in start-up funds.

There are a number of visas that permit part-time or full-time study. The list of these types is too numerous to provide here so please contact the International Admissions Coordinator to check if your visa type allows study without changing to F-1 student immigration status.

(For A-1, E-1/2, H-1B, H-1C, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, I, L-1, O-1/2, P-1/2/3, Q-1, R-1, TN visa holders – If you are accepted to Regent you must submit a letter from your visa sponsor which states whether or not you, as the visa holder, will be maintaining your status for the entire duration of the degree program, and which verifies that the full-time study is not your (visa holder’s) primary purpose for being in the United States.)

Those holding a PR or RA card need only provide a copy of their current valid card to the Admissions Office.

The I-20 document can only be issued by a Regent “Designated School Official” (DSO) and is used by newly admitted non-U. S. citizens who are outside the United States to apply for a non-immigrant F-1 student visa at the U.S. consulate/embassy and/or the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry. Citizens of Bermuda and Canada are exempt from the visa requirement, but must still apply for an I-20 to obtain F-1 student immigration status at the Port of Entry. For those non-immigrants who are already in the United States, the I-20 is issued for one of three specific purposes: 1) to “transfer” one’s F-1 immigration status from one U.S. institution to another, 2) to apply for a “change of status” to the F-1 student immigration status, or 3) to apply for a “reinstatement” to lawful F-1 immigration status. In order to maintain lawful F-1 immigration status, it is important for each student to keep his/her I-20 valid and up-to-date at all times while enrolled in a degree program, among other requirements.

You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed in section 5 on your I-20, but no sooner than that. In addition, you MUST arrive in the United States on or before the program start date, or you may be denied entry into the United States. If you are unable to arrive at Regent by the program start date that is listed on your I-20 or enroll in the semester for which the I-20 was issued, it is important that you contact the International Admissions Coordinator immediately.

This time will vary greatly and will depend mostly on the applicant, but all applicants are advised to allow at least six to nine months for completion of the entire process from application submission to I-20 issuance. If an applicant is very organized, has met all established deadlines, has followed all instructions, and has thoroughly completed all questions on all the forms, it may take three to four months for an acceptance and admission decision to be made and an I-20 to be issued. On the other hand it is possible to take up to 12 months or longer and to have the admission deferred for a later semester.

From the time of completion of the degree program or the end date on the I-20 document (whichever comes first), the student will have 60 days to either depart the United States, obtain a new I-20 for a different degree program, or submit an application to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services) for a change of status to another immigration status.

Yes, you can under certain circumstances. However, your DSO at your current school must approve the request, and Regent must receive a copy of the written approval prior to your being cleared for enrollment at Regent.

According to U.S. immigration regulations, you may not enroll in a degree program in the B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status. In addition, for those who are coming to the U.S. for study that is over 18 hours per week, or for short-term degree related study (like mandatory residencies for online degree programs), that also cannot be done in the B-1/B-2 visitor status. Please consult with the International Admissions Coordinator about the steps involved with I-20 issuance, at least 4 months in advance, if you need to come to Regent for a mandatory residency that includes a specific educational objective, constitutes at least 18 hours per week of participation, and is required for degree completion.

First-Time Residency Participants

Non-immigrant students participating in on-campus residencies for online degree programs are responsible for ensuring they have proper immigration status for their studies at Regent. An I-20 is required for residency students to apply for an F-1 student visa and to obtain the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry. Not all of Regent’s on-campus residencies will qualify for I-20 issuance by the university for the on-campus portions of certain online degrees. Please contact your program advisor for further guidance on whether or not your program qualifies for I-20 issuance. If you are a non-immigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status, you will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree. The required documentation includes the Financial Certification Form.

Returning Residency Students

If you are required to return to campus for a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, then you must submit the required documentation to the Enrollment Support Services at least 4 months in advance of your next residency start date. The required documentation includes the Financial Certification Form.

All Residency Students

If you are a non-immigrant student who is in a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance but you not received your I-20 at least 3 months in advance of your residency start-date, then please contact your admissions counselor by phone at 1.800.846.4198 or by email at Before doing so, make sure that you have submitted all required international documentation.

Scholarships for international students are minimal. View information on scholarships now.