Regent University Commencement Information
Congratulations, Class of 2021!
On Saturday, May 8, 2021, Regent University will celebrate its 41st commencement ceremony in a virtual format with live-streamed events right here at www.regent.edu/commencement. We are preparing a wonderful program that will honor the incredible achievements of each graduate. We are so proud of our Regent graduates, and we are thrilled to celebrate the Class of 2021!
The decision to conduct a second virtual commencement was not made lightly. However, this decision reflects our steadfast commitment to protecting the health and safety of the entire Regent community, as well as to honor guidance and directives from Virginia’s Governor Ralph Northam. Regent University officials are working diligently with Governor Northam’s officials in the Virginia Department of Education to implement the Commonwealth’s COVID-19 guidelines. The challenge remains around travel advisories and the size of gatherings permitted by the Commonwealth of Virginia, which precludes us from being able to host a ceremony that families and friends can attend.
We will do everything we can to honor the Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021 in person once all COVID-19 restrictions and safeguards are lifted. We eagerly anticipate the day when we can all celebrate together on campus.
To signify the great joy and significance of commencement, each Regent graduate will receive a complimentary graduation package in the mail. Ceremonies will be streamed online so that graduates, friends, and families can participate from all over the world. We encourage families and loved ones to support each graduate and celebrate their remarkable accomplishments together.
WATCH COMMENCEMENT ONLINE ON MAY 8, 2021
- To watch online streaming of commencement on May 8, 2021 at 9:15 a.m. ET, visit: https://www.regent.edu/admin/media/live/?p=commence
- To watch on Facebook Live on May 8, 2021 at 9:15 a.m. ET, visit: facebook.com/regentuniversity
- Use #RegentGrad2021 to tag your photos on social media
WATCH COMMISSIONING ONLINE ON MAY 7, 2021
- Commissioning is an intimate event intended just for your school and will be streamed online on Friday, May 7, 2021.
- Following a dean’s welcome, award presentation, and formal reading of graduate names, you’ll be prayerfully commissioned by your dean and professors to serve the world as Christian leaders in your chosen field.
Stay tuned for more information pertaining to your school-specific commissioning ceremony.
Information for Graduates
- All events will be conducted online. Graduates, families, and friends will not need to attend any events on campus.
- Regalia is not required, but graduates who wish to purchase a cap & gown may order them online by April 15, 2021 at shopoakhalli.com
- Graduates who have submitted graduation applications for spring and summer 2021 will hear from the Registrar’s Office to confirm their name they want it to appear in the printed program by March 24, 2021.
- Graduates will receive their official diploma by mail. Official university diplomas will be mailed to graduates 4-6 weeks after the degree has been officially conferred.
- Additional information will be emailed to graduates as commencement approaches. You can also check here for updates, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In preparation for the big events, we are asking for a couple of items from you.
- First, we would like you to provide us with a professional photo of yourself. (See photo guidelines below)
- Even if you prefer not to submit a photo, the submission form will include your name information and a personalized quote or scripture to be displayed at graduation.
- Also, please provide us with phonetic spelling for your preferred name as you would like it read during the ceremony. This will ensure an accurate pronunciation on commencement day.
- If you’d like to opt out of the name-reading portion of the ceremony, please indicate that on the form. Not submitting the form will NOT remove you from the name reading.
- Good front lighting
- Nothing covering face
- Display professional hair and clothing (regalia or military attire are encouraged!)
- Plain background
- Photo should be in portrait orientation (up and down)
- NO full-body images. The headshot should be from the chest-up (see example photo below)
Follow these steps to take a professional-looking headshot:
- Ask a friend to take the headshot, or use a tripod
- Ensure lighting is adequate on your face
- Choose a plain background
- Try different poses
A professional camera is not needed for a good headshot. Many cell phones have adequate cameras for a nice-looking photo.
Deadline: Friday, April 16
If a student’s Degree Works worksheet is 100% complete, the Registrar’s Office will conduct a detailed review. If everything is confirmed, they will post the degree and send an email notification to the student’s Regent email address. Students can also check their Genysis account for degree conferral information and view an unofficial transcript.
Students earning a degree will have a complimentary grade record sent to their Regent university e-mail address. This is their personal record and will not be sent to anyone other than the graduate.
- Degrees cannot be posted until after the term has ended and all final grades have posted.
- Degrees are usually posted within 2-6 weeks after all grades are received. The Registrar’s Office is aware that many students have deadlines for job applications, licensure, raises, etc. and will work to process degree paperwork as quickly as possible.
- Diplomas and certificates are ordered from a third-party vendor twice a month and generally arrive within six weeks after the order is placed. Graduates will receive an email when the diploma and/or certificate is mailed.
Regent University Announces Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as 2021 Commencement Speaker
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (March 18, 2021) – Regent University is pleased to announce former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo as the keynote speaker for its 41st commencement ceremony on May 8, 2021. Secretary Pompeo served as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency and as the 70th United States Secretary of State.
“We are thrilled to welcome Secretary Mike Pompeo to Regent University,” said Dr. M.G. “Pat” Robertson, founder, chancellor and CEO of Regent. “It is indeed a distinct honor that our graduates will receive a keynote address from such an exemplary American leader, diplomat, businessman, and attorney.”
Secretary Pompeo is a highly distinguished and respected leader who has championed military, national security, and foreign policy throughout his career. He is also a man of deep and abiding faith.
Secretary Pompeo served as an officer in the United States Army from 1986 to 1991. He was a member of the United States House of Representatives from 2011 to 2017, representing Kansas’s 4th congressional district. He was a Kansas representative on the Republican National Committee.
In addition, Secretary Pompeo led a private sector manufacturing and technology corporation in the aerospace industry from 1999 to 2005. He then became president of Sentry International, an oilfield equipment manufacturer.
Secretary Pompeo graduated first in his class from the United States Military Academy at West Point, where he majored in engineering management. In 1994, he received a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School, where he served as an editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Regent’s 2021 commencement ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 8, 2021. Over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate degrees will be conferred.
About Regent University
Founded in 1978, Regent University is America’s premier Christian university with more than 11,000 students studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in more than 150 areas of study including business, communication and the arts, counseling, cybersecurity, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing, healthcare and psychology. Regent University, ranked among top national universities (U.S. News & World Report, 2020), is one of only 23 universities nationally to receive an “A” rating for its comprehensive liberal arts core curriculum.
To the Class of 2021, we love you, we are proud of you, and we are always cheering you on.
Celebrate your Regent Grad with the following downloadable signs:
Order Regalia for this years commencement ceremony. Learn where to order and get details about the cost.
Purchase your academic regalia through Oak Hall.
You’ll receive a “ship to home” option, instead of a “ship to school,” in light of current health and safety restrictions. All orders must be placed by April 15, 2021.
Please note Oak Hall’s return policy. Candidates for graduation may return un-opened regalia within 30 days of purchase for a refund of the purchase price less shipping. All returned items must be unopened and in their original packaging.
- Only Oak Hall regalia may be worn by graduates for on-campus related commencement activities.
Undergraduate regalia package (robe, cap and tassel)
$25.50 plus shipping, handling and tax.
Master’s regalia package (robe, cap, hood and tassel)
$46.50 plus shipping, handling and tax.
Doctoral regalia package (robe, tam, hood and tassel)
$83.00 plus shipping, handling and tax.
Oak Hall offers a variety of shipping options.
See the Oak Hall website for details.
Honor cords are available for veterans and those who are currently serving in the military on active duty, in the National Guard, Reserve, or ROTC. These do not need to be ordered or purchased. Simply verify your current military status in Genisys through my.regent.edu to ensure that you receive a cord. You will receive it in your complimentary graduation gift box mailed to your home by Regent University.
If you are both a military dependent AND a military veteran, you must note your veteran status so that you are flagged for inclusion. (A dependent only status would not qualify for the cord.)
Questions? Email the Military Resource Center at email@example.com.
Get your Regent University keepsakes like a 2021 Commencement T-shirt, alumni swag, class rings, and more!
Order your exclusive 2021 Commencement T-shirt, listing the names of all the graduates confirmed through the Registrar’s Office. https://www.thecommencementgroup.com/regent/
Shirts are white, standard unisex sizing and 100% cotton.
Cost: $25.99 each, plus $4.99 shipping per order.
No order limit.
T-shirt sales are sponsored by the Office of Student Activities & Leadership.
Hurry! Orders must be received by May 17, 2021.
Shirts will be delivered by early June.
Celebrate your accomplishment by purchasing your alumni gear and diploma frame.
Enjoy EARLY BIRD SAVINGS on Diploma frames March 15-31.
Receive a 10% discount at checkout.
Use PROMO CODE “earlybird”
Through our partnership with Herff Jones, you can get you graduation announcements, class rings, and other keepsakes. To order any of these items just visit colleges.herffjones.com/college/ru/.
Other Commencement Resources
Good News! You have an exceptional alumni community available to help you stay connected once your graduate.
Here are two ways to stay engaged with Regent Royals around the world and stay up to date with what’s happening at the university.
- Like our page on Facebook – www.facebook.com/regentalumni
You’ll find regular posts about university and alumni events, alumni achievements, and more!
- Build your profile on the Regent Alumni Website – www.RegentAlumni.org
This is your one-stop hub for alumni business listings, class notes and spotlight stories, and details on your nearest alumni chapters and networks.
If you’re local, once health and safety concerns allow, we’d love for you to come to Regent events such as Nights of Worship, weekly chapels or theatre performances. Also, feel free to stop in to say hi in Administration Building Suite 128.
And right now, and any time, we welcome all of our alums to email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 888.294.2586. We’re here for you!
About to graduate and need to update your career development skills? As a Regent alumnus, you have access to coaches, premier online career assessments and job listings available through Handshake. Let us be a part of your continuing career journey! https://www.regent.edu/resources/office-of-career-and-talent-management/
Upcoming Career Workshops
The Office of Career & Talent Management will offer virtual career workshops during May and June.
Salary Negotiation – How should I prepare before a salary negotiation?
Update Resume & Cover Letter – How to best tailor my resume and cover letter to the position that’s open?
Mock Interviews – How to become a strong interviewer via zoom?
Career Assessments – Where do my career strengths fall?
Get Noticed on LinkedIn – How to use LinkedIn to update my skills and get seen by hiring managers?
All the dates and times of our summer workshops will be open to register in April and listed on the Career Events section of our website www.Regent.edu/CTM
We’re proud of your accomplishments and excited for all that is ahead for you. One of the best strategies for continued success is to commit to being a lifelong learner. Stay connected through social media, send updates to your schools and our alumni team, and, when you’re ready to explore additional certificates and degree opportunities, please reach out!
Did you know that all borrowers of Federal Student Loans are required to complete Exit Counseling when you graduate? Through an online session, you will learn your load repayment schedule, obligations and rights to deferment and/or cancellation.
To review the Exit Counseling requirement and complete your session, visit studentaid.gov.