Regent University Alumna Recognized as STEM Academy Teacher of the Year
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (September 20, 2021) – Regent University is pleased to announce that alumna Jessica A. Williams was named the 2021 Teacher of the Year for Southside STEM Academy at Campostella, a Title I school in Norfolk, Virginia. Since earning her Bachelor of Science degree from Regent’s teacher preparation program in 2014, Williams has earned the respect of her school community as a dedicated and influential teacher.
“Jessica Williams represents Regent University with distinction as a Christian educator who demonstrates exemplary teaching and is a beacon of light in the teaching profession,” said Dr. Bill Hathaway, executive vice president for Academic Affairs at Regent University.
Williams teaches elementary children, both in class and virtually, by integrating all subjects with science, technology, engineering, and math – a focus referred to as STEM. Williams engages young learners to deepen their understanding and skills through project-based learning, computer coding, investigations and exploration, music, movement, skills practice, and instructional technology.
“I encourage each child to be excited about learning. I want them to know that learning is fun and learning is cool,” said Williams. “I also hold high expectations for my students. If I show them that I believe in them and know they can reach higher, they will. I encourage my young learners to go beyond average to achieve great things.”
Williams’ success reaches beyond the classroom. Williams’ colleagues expressed that she builds positive and collaborative relationships with parents and is always willing to help other teachers. Williams is currently pursuing a masters’ degree, preparing to become a mathematics specialist. She is developing a mathematics curriculum and materials to enhance teaching and learning in diverse classrooms.
“We are proud of Jessica and her accomplishments as a teacher-leader,” said Dr. Cheryl Gould, chair of the teacher education department in the College of Arts & Sciences at Regent University. “Jessica embodies the values we hold, to prepare teachers who provide excellence in teaching, who are ready to meet professional challenges, who care deeply about all students, and who dare to lead the way.”
For those seeking to teach with excellence, Regent University offers world-class degree programs in education, focusing on research-based best practices and cutting-edge teaching methods. To learn more, explore these education degrees offered at Regent University:
Degrees offered on campus in Virginia Beach, Virginia
- B.Ed. in Early and Primary Education (Licensure)
- B.Ed. in Elementary Education (Licensure)
- B.Ed. in Secondary English (Licensure)
- B.Ed. in Secondary History and Social Science (Licensure)
- B.Ed. in Secondary Mathematics (Licensure)
- M.A. in School Counseling
Degrees offered online
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education
- Career Switcher Program for Accelerated Teaching License with M.Ed. Option
- M.A. in School Counseling
- Master’s in Education – M.Ed. Degree Programs
- M.Ed. in Christian School Administration
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. in Educational Leadership
- M.Ed. in Individualized
- M.Ed. in Individualized – NILD Educational Therapy Certification Program
- M.Ed. in Instructional Design & Technology
- M.Ed. in K-12 Special Education (Licensure)
- M.Ed. in K-12 Special Education (Nonlicensure)
- M.Ed. in Leadership in Mathematics Education
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist (Endorsement)
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist (without Endorsement)
- M.Ed. in Student Affairs
- M.Ed. in TESOL – Adult Education-Collegiate
- M.Ed. in TESOL – K-12
- Ed.D. – Doctor of Education
- Ed.S. – Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership
- Ed.S. in Leadership in Mathematics Education
- Ph.D. in Education
Founded in 1978, Regent University is America’s premier Christian university with more than 11,000 students studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in more than 150 areas of study including business, communication and the arts, counseling, cybersecurity, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing, healthcare, and psychology. Regent University is ranked the #1 Best Accredited Online College in the United States (Study.com, 2020), the #1 Safest College Campus in Virginia (YourLocalSecurity, 2021), and the #1 Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia for nine years in a row (U.S. News & World Report, 2021).