Imagery of Regent people and campus
Travel Policies & Procedures

Travel Forms


    Expense Reports

  • Regent University will reimburse its employees for authorized expenses incurred while fulfilling their responsibilities as employees after proper University procedures are followed. 
  • Expense reimbursements should be requested using the Expense Report form.  Attach appropriate expenditure receipts to the form and submit to Accounts Payable for processing.  Expenditures will not be reimbursed without appropriate receipts.
  • Expense Reports should be submitted no later than five days after each trip ends or every two weeks if expenditures are incurred on an ongoing basis. Expenditures submitted more than sixty (60) days after the trip has occurred or item is purchased will not be reimbursed.

   Missing Receipt Form

  • Receipts must be supplied to support all expenditures with the exception of mileage, per diem meals, and gratuities under $10/day.  If a receipt is lost, the traveler is encouraged to seek a duplicate. When an acceptable duplicate is unobtainable, the traveler should submit an approved Missing Receipt Form with the corresponding Expense Report or Master Card Reconciliation.


    Travel Requests/Cash Advances

  • An approved Travel Request form must be completed before any business travel may be initiated. This form will also serve as a Cash Advance request for any travel expenses that will be paid by cash.  Cash Advances require a minimum amount of $150. 
  • Employees who are issued a Cash Advance must return or satisfy the advance with an Expense Report before a new advance for the next trip can be processed.  Cash Advance monies not returned after sixty days of issuance will be added to the employee's taxable income or deducted from the employee's paycheck.

Back to Top



AP Office Home

Chart of Accounts

Online Forms

Purchasing Office

Travel Arrangements

  • When making travel arrangements, employees should use the most economical means of travel.  When travelers interrupt their business travel or deviate from the direct route for personal convenience or personal leave, they will be reimbursed only at the rate for uninterrupted travel by the most direct route.


    Local Travel

  • For local travel, employees may reserve the University Camry or use a personal vehicle and request mileage reimbursement through submission of an Expense Report.
  • Mileage is reimbursed at $.54/mile for business related travel when using a personal vehicle.  This includes transportation from home or work to the airport.  Routine transportation to and from work is not reimbursable.  An explanation of mileage is required and must be recorded with individual trip locations and number of miles traveled on a Mileage Log and submitted with an Expense Report. 


    Out of the Area Travel

  • For out of town automobile travel, employees must determine whether renting a car is less expensive than utilizing one's own vehicle at the current reimbursement  rate.  Gas purchases will only be reimbursed for rental or courtesy cars, and receipts must be provided.  Regent will reimburse the employee only the lesser of the car rental standard rate plus gas or the mileage reimbursement rate for one's own vehicle. If it's determined that driving one's personal vehicle is the cheapest option, written proof (online quote from rental car agency) must be provided. 
  • If a trip of considerable distance is involved and employees elect to drive versus fly, reimbursement is limited to an amount equivalent to an airline coach class fare available at least 14 days prior to the trip.  Written proof (online quote from airline) must be provided.  Enroute expenses that would not have been incurred with airfare (ie lodging) will not be reimbursed.
  • Please reference the Purchasing Office site for procedural guidelines when making airline and rental car arrangements for official university business.  Please also review the Travel Insurance and Accident Information before traveling on university business.


    International Travel

  • Any person planning international travel must obtain approval from the appropriate Vice President prior to making any financial commitments related to the trip.  A Travel Request Form must be completed and signed by the appropriate Dean or Admin Dean and sent to Accounts Payable for processing.
  • Staff and faculty must also complete the online approval form, which is approved by Academic Affairs.  
  • Employees must not purchase any other type of traveler's insurance because the University has adequate coverage. All full-time employees with benefits now have Travel Assist as an added value from the life insurance carrier, AIG American General. This program provides access to information and referral services for members 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by calling the AIG International Services Worldwide customer care center. Some services are no charge and some have a fee. If you would like a flyer, please stop by Human Resources, ADM 111.
  • Immunizations required for international travel are not covered by the Regent Health Insurance Plan.  Departments may cover the costs of the immunizations, but employees must contact Human Resources for referrals to agencies who provide immunizations at a reasonable cost.
  • Fees and expenses incurred for the purchase of passports and visas for university business travel will be reimbursed at a rate of 50% for passports and 100% for visas. Expenses for reimbursement or paid with university purchasing cards must include a receipt for the passport or visa and must be fully documented.
  • When expenses are charged in a foreign currency, please record the amount in US dollars on the Expense Report form.  You may submit a copy of your credit card statement reflecting the US dollar amount charged, include a currency exchange receipt, and/or use the International Currency Log with your Expense Report.

Back to Top 

Authorized Travel Expenses


  • The University's policy is that travelers fly coach class, and seek the best prices available given time and route constraints. Frequent flyer memberships should not influence travelers to select a flight that is not the lowest priced flight available.
  • Travel insurance is not allowed on US domestic flights. The university may pay choice seating on international flights when approved in advance by the Executive Vice President.
  • Choice or preferred seating is only allowed when there are no other seats available.
  • Early Bird Check in is not a reimbursable expense.
  • Inflight wifi internet is not a reimbursable expense.
  • The original passenger receipt or e-ticket receipt is required for reimbursement.  A boarding pass or travel itinerary are not valid for reimbursement.
  • When a trip is canceled after a ticket has been issued, the traveler should inquire with the issuing agent about using the ticket for future travel or processing a refund.
  • Airline travel voucher and frequent flier mileage are not reimbursable to employees for travel in connection with university business. The university does not purchase airline voucher or coupons from employees.

   Convention/Conference and Meeting Expenses

  • The University will reimburse expenses charged to University employees while attending approved conventions, conferences, and meetings. 
  • Depending on the location and schedule of your meeting/conference, it may be necessary to travel the day before the meeting begins and/or stay the night the meeting ends.  If that is the case, you will be reimbursed for the costs of lodging and meals for those days. 
  • Any decisions related to traveling the day before or staying the night the meeting ends should be documented.  As a general rule, travelers should never travel earlier than the day before or the day after a meeting/conference. 


    Hotel Expense

  • Advance planning must be done in order to locate modest accommodations.  Rates should not exceed the equivalent of Courtyard by Marriott, Hampton Inn, etc., except when necessitated for conventions and conference where rooms are a part of the package.
  • For instructions and procedures on making reservations for guests of Regent University at Founders Inn, click here.


    Laundry Expenses

  • Laundry/Dry Cleaning service will be reimbursed when laundry needs to be done during the course of a business trip that lasts longer than seven days.



  • A meal expense per diem of $38 per day is allowed for employees traveling on university business.  If you spend less than $38, you keep the difference.  If you spend more than $38, you must cover the excess from personal funds. While the cost of any one meal may exceed the allowance, you may economize on some meals to offset the more costly ones.
  • Please note, meal tips are included in the flat rate given and should not be expensed separately.
  • If you receive a sufficient meal provided by the conference or the hotel, please do not also claim per diem for that meal.
  • It is expected that for partial days of travel at the beginning and end of a trip, the employee will utilize the per diem rates for the meals required away from home.  The following schedule will help you identify when you should claim a per diem meal on travel days:


Must depart home prior to 7:00 AM
On Departure: Must depart home/Regent prior to 11:30 AM     On Return: Must return home/Regent after 1:30 PM
On Departure: Must depart home/Regent prior to 5:00 PM     On Return: Must return home after 7:00 PM


  • A department manager may apply an allowance to employees who have approval to work extreme hours.  An employee is eligible for a food allowance of $20 for dinner or $10 for lunch when working three hours overtime into or past meals times or five hours on holidays or weekends.  This allowance is limited to actual expenditures.
  • You may not pay for per diem meals with a Purchasing or Travel card. Your per diem meal cost can be paid to you through a cash advance requested before the trip or reimbursed after the trip through an Expense Report.
  • In the event an employee entertains for business purposes while traveling, the employee should include his/her meal in the total cost rather than claiming per diem separately.  Hospitality meals can be paid for with a University credit card.  A receipt must be submitted that also documents the people in attendance and the business purpose of the expense.  See the Hospitality Policy for detailed procedures.


    Miscellaneous Expenses

  • Miscellaneous reimbursable expenses include items such as tolls, postage, faxes, baggage handling fees, valet expenses, tips for porters, bellhops,& taxi drivers, etc.

    Parking Fees

  • If parking at Norfolk International Airport, please review the map showing the short term and long term parking lots.  The nine level parking garage has short term parking and long term parking.  Levels 1-2 of the garage are short term and levels 3-9 are long term.  When parking at the airport overnight for Regent travel, park in the long term lots. 
  • The long term rates are $9/day and the short term rates are $24/day.    The University will only reimburse employees for the long term rate of $9/day.

    Telephone Expense

  • Reasonable costs of long distance telephone calls and messages while traveling are reimbursable, but must be described and cannot exceed $5/day.  Allowable calls include those that are necessary for university-related business and one personal call, of reasonable length, per day. 
  • Please do not use the hotel room telephone for making direct long distance calls, as calls from hotel rooms are very overpriced.  Airtime and roaming charges for business related calls are reimbursable when other options are unavailable.


    Travel Insurance

Back to Top


Non-Reimbursable Expenses

  • Alcoholic beverages; Mini-bar charges
  • Airline club membership dues; Airline preferred seating fees or upgrades
  • Airline tickets purchased with frequent flyer miles
  • Airline choice seating on domestic flights, except for when there are no other seats available.
  • Auto and Travel insurance
  • Child care or Pet care services
  • Delinquency fees/finance charges for personal credit cards
  • e-Toll service or Toll Pass programs offered through car rental companies
  • Excessive baggage fees for items that could be shipped to an event instead
  • GPS devices (for personal or rental car)
  • Incidental expenses such as personal recreation, movies, or snacks
  • Inflight wifi internet
  • Luggage purchases
  • Membership fees for any travel "cost-reduction" programs
  • Parking or traffic tickets, personal auto repair, or other fines
  • Personal travel expenses while on official University business
  • Premium seating on airline flights (limited recline, extra room, etc)
  • Prepaid fuel with rental cars
  • Rental car upgrades
  • Travel expenses for family members
  • The University does not pay for other family members to attend conferences unless that person is a university employee and attends the conference/meetings for professional reasons.  Any expenses of a personal family member should be deducted from the charges submitted to the University for reimbursement.
  • Any expense not directly related to, or necessary for, the performance of the travel assignment.

Back to Top