School of Education Commissioning Ceremony
COMMISSIONING CEREMONY DETAILS
Thursday, May 4 | 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM ET
Campus Location: Shaw Chapel
Commencement is scheduled for Saturday, May 6, 2023.
Location: Shaw Chapel
Date & Time: Thursday, May 4, from 4:00–6:30 p.m. ET
Participants: School of Education Master’s and Doctoral graduates, guests, and faculty.
Congratulations! You have made it to graduation! We are excited that you have decided to join us for our Commissioning Service and look forward to meeting your families and friends.
This event will prayerfully commission you to serve the world as a Christian leader in your chosen field. The schedule includes:
- Dean’s welcome
- Charge from our Founder and Chancellor, Dr. M.G. “Pat” Robertson
- Presentation of Outstanding Student Awards
- Formal reading of graduate names
- Formal hooding of graduates
- Faculty prayer & anointing of graduates
- Professional headshots by Grad Images
To commission someone is “to entrust or give authority” or “to appoint or assign to a task or function.” Commissioning is a sacred and holy time of worship, consecration, reflection, prayer, and anointing within the context of our graduation.
The service will be streamed live on this page at 4:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, May 4th.
Commencement (also known as graduation) will be held Saturday, May 6th, beginning at 9:15 a.m. ET at the Library Plaza. This ceremony includes all graduates & faculty. Please view https://www.regent.edu/commencement for more information regarding the event.
Click here to view the Regent campus map. Please ask your family and friends to park in parking lot “L”— the large parking area near the Communication Building. It is easily accessible from Centerville Turnpike.
Area hotels: https://www.regent.edu/student-life/student-housing/area-hotels/
Your family and friends are invited; check-in tables will be at the Shaw Chapel for your family and guest; graduates will go to the check-in table in the divinity building; greeters will be on hand to answer any questions and provide commissioning programs.
COMMISSIONING CEREMONY PROCEDURE
On Thursday, graduates are to line up at 3:00 p.m., once you check in, you will be directed to the room where you will be lined up and shown how to present your hood to the dean for hooding. We will have staff there to direct your lineup. Wear your regalia and bring your hood. Since the School of Education’s commissioning and walking service is inside, you will not need your tam. You will receive a program for the service when you arrive for the lineup. The procedure is as follows:
- Staff will direct you to the check-in table, where you will be given an index card that should already have your name printed on it. Please write on the card how you want your name to be read. If you RSVP’d late, you will be given an index card on which you will write your name, degree and concentration and how you want your name read. (Sharpie provided!)
- You will then be directed to a room inside the divinity building, where you will be lined up with other graduates. You will line up alphabetically within degrees in the following order: Ph.D., Ed.D., M.Ed., Ed.S.
- You will begin your procession, led by faculty, at 4:00 p.m. A Marshal will guide you to your seat.
- You will have designated seats on the front right section.
- A Marshal will lead you out of your row to process onto the stage for hooding.
- When you approach the podium, give your name card to the reader.
- When your name is called, proceed toward the center stage, where you will be hooded.
- Shake Dean Kreassig’s hand.
- A Marshal will guide you to the Grad Images spot where your individual headshot will be taken.
- After your photo is taken, a Marshal will guide you off stage to the faculty who will pray over and anoint you.
- Once the prayer is over, you will return to the nearest empty seat. You may or may not go back to where you were initially seated. That is OK! Please be sure not to bring anything with you.
- At the end of the ceremony, your guests will be excused, and you will remain in the chapel for a formal group photo of the graduating class of 2023!
PROPER ATTIRE (UNDER REGALIA)
As this is a special occasion and you will be standing on stage, men should wear dress pants. Women should wear dress pants, a skirt or a dress. All graduates should wear dress shoes (heels or flats). Please do not wear jeans, tennis shoes or flip-flops. Females are not to bring handbags. *Do not bring a purse or drink as you cannot take on stage, and you will not return to your original seat*.
On the RSVP page for the School of Education Commissioning Ceremony, you will be given a dropdown box for the number of guests you will have with you. You will provide the number of guests you will have and put their names on the RSVP. They will check in upon arrival at the Shaw Chapel.
Contact Diane Morgan at email@example.com for questions about the School of Education Commissioning Ceremony.