Pursue the Master in Arts in Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling degree at Regent University.

M.A. in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling

School of Psychology & Counseling

Ranked Among Top National Universities, U.S. News & World Report, 2019 & 2020




Restoring Foundations for Couples and Families

Strong family structures lead to stronger communities. Are you called to help mend this critical fabric of society? The Master in Arts in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling, offered online or on-campus, will equip you for a fulfilling career in counseling. Advance as an advocate, community leader and highly trained, compassionate therapist to children, adolescents, and adults seeking tools for mental and emotional health that leads to healthier relationships.

Intimate Learning Environment

Network, build relationships with and get feedback from a challenging core of fellow students and professors.

Hands-On Clincial Experience

Apply what you learn from your rigorous coursework through qualified real-world fieldwork.

Make a Lasting Difference

Join a respected network of Regent marriage and family therapists dedicated to the integration of science and faith.

Courses are taught from a Christian worldview by renowned faculty in Virginia Beach and beyond.

Regent University's Master in Arts in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling is a CACREP-accredited program. Regent University ranked #23 of the top 31 master's in marriage and family therapy degree programs | Intelligent.com

Available Online, with Residency

16-Week Course Sessions Available

Prepare for State Licensing Exam

On Campus | Online w/Residency




Take Your Career to the Next Level

Through this master's in marriage, couple & family counseling degree, you will:

  • Integrate systematic research and theories to improve understanding of family systems and dynamics.
  • Apply techniques and interventions to treat individuals, couples, and families from a systems perspective.
  • Prepare for real-world clinical practice in community agency and settings.

Program Evaluation & Outcomes

Career Opportunities

  • Public Agencies
  • Private Practices
  • Mental Health Facilities
  • Church Counseling Centers


Mean annual wage of counselors.

- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2019

Click any section below for additional information or access your course schedule.

Application Deadlines:

  • Spring*: December 1 | Fall: July 1

*The Spring 2021 M.A. in Counseling Licensure Programs (Clinical Mental Health, School, and Marriage, Couple & Family) Cohort for both On-Campus and Online are now on a waitlist. Any new applicants are directed to apply for the Fall 2021 term for faculty consideration.

Important Note: If admitted to an online program, you will be required to attend and successfully complete two one-week residencies during the course of the program. Students have the option of attending residency in January or August. Students wanting to pursue the accelerated pace will need to attend both the January and August residency their first year.

COVID-19 Update: Concerned about travel? Spring residencies will be held online for your well-being and convenience.


Master's applicants must:

  • Hold a B.A. or B.S. from a regionally accredited college or university. Desirable degrees include those in counseling, psychology or related human behavioral fields. Other degree fields will also be considered.
  • Have a minimum of a 3.00 GPA for all undergraduate coursework.

Application Process:

Step 1: Application
Submit your application using our Regent University Online Application.

Step 2: Application Fee
Pay the nonrefundable $50 application fee by check or money order mailed to Regent University, Enrollment Support Services, 1000 Regent University Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23464.

Step 3: Complete an Academic Background Questionnaire Licensure Survey

Step 4: Resume
Submit a professional resume or curriculum vitae to include three references with contact information. References should be able to address questions related to character, as well as your interpersonal and relational skills. Please email to the Admissions Office at apply@regent.edu using the subject line: SPC Master's Application Pieces.

Step 5: Submit your Unofficial College Transcripts*
We are able to examine and view your unofficial transcript from a U.S.-based school, which indicates successful completion of a bachelor's degree program, in order to review you for an admissions decision. Please submit your unofficial transcript to our Admissions Office by email to apply@regent.edu using the subject line: SPC Master's Application Pieces.

Non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by an NACES-approved company. For further details, please review the International Admissions Checklist on the International Students Admissions page.

International Applicants: Please visit the International Students Admissions page for a more detailed explanation of the Regent University application information and to determine whether or not you qualify as an international student.

*Upon conditional acceptance to the program by review of unofficial transcripts, Regent University's Admissions Office will attempt to obtain your official transcripts from your U.S. degree-granting institution, which indicate successful completion of a bachelor's degree program. We will notify you if your previous institution will not release transcripts directly to us.

Step 6: Official Test Scores
In response to CDC prevention requirements due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Regent University is aware that many GRE or MAT testing sites may not be currently scheduling or offering testing opportunities.  As a result, Faculty have determined that the GRE or MAT admissions requirement will be suspended for the Spring 2021 applicant cycle.

Submit either official MAT or GRE scores. Waivers are only considered in the following instance: (Please keep in mind waivers are only considered for master's program applicants.)

  • The applicant has completed a doctoral degree with at least a 3.5 GPA from a regionally accredited college or university.

MAT: Miller Analogies Test
To learn more about the MAT, visit www.milleranalogies.com/.

GRE: Graduate Record Exam-General Test
The School of Psychology & Counseling does not require the Psychology Subject Test. For more information about the GRE you can contact: GRE (Educational Testing Service), Princeton, NJ 08541, 609.771.7670 / 866.473.4373, www.ets.org/gre/

Average test scores of admitted students: MAT - 400. GRE 152 - Verbal and 141 - Quantitative (revised score scale). These are averages based on the scores of enrolled students over the last three years.

Step 7: Government-Issued ID
To ensure academic integrity, Regent University requires a copy of a government-issued ID. Please email a scanned copy or photograph of it to apply@regent.edu with the subject line: Government ID.

Step 8: Pre-Admissions Interview
Pre-admissions interviews for all licensure programs are by invitation only and completes your process prior to submitting your file to the admissions committee for their review. These required interviews are conducted online, and you must have both a webcam and microphone to participate. Your admissions counselor will provide information regarding interview days/times for you to register once your file is complete.

International student applicants should allow at least 4-6 weeks for an admission decision to be made once the applicant has submitted all required documents to the appropriate offices and has followed all processes and procedures required for an admission decision.

Please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions at 757.352.4498 or email psycounadmissions@regent.edu, should you have any further questions about the application process.

Note: All items submitted as part of the application process become the property of Regent University and cannot be returned.

2019-20 Tuition Rates

Degree Level / Program Cost Per Credit Hour

M.A. in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling

$710 per credit (In-state & Out-of-state)


Student Fees Per Semester

University Services Fee (On-Campus Students) $700
University Services Fee (Online Students) $550

2020-21 Tuition Rates

Degree Level / Program Cost Per Credit Hour

M.A. in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling

$710 per credit (In-state & Out-of-state)


Student Fees Per Semester

University Services Fee (On-Campus Students) $750
University Services Fee (Online Students) $600

*Rates are subject to change at any time.

Scholarships available for new students in full-time, on-campus enrollment starting Fall 2019.

Learn more about scholarships and financial aid.

Upcoming Residency Dates

Fall 2020:

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we will not be holding M.A. residency on campus during August 2020. The following adjustments have been made to ensure our students health and safety:

Residency A – Will have online orientation sessions August 10-12, 2020.

Residency B – Has been postponed to October 16-17, 2020.

Any questions regarding residency should be directed to Academic Services Manager, Liz Barnes at ebarnes@regent.edu.

Spring 2021: January 3-8, 2021

Online students in our master's counseling programs are required to participate in two week-long residencies from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (Eastern Time). Residencies provide networking and mentoring opportunities for students; and facilitate discussions with faculty concerning relevant issues, course matriculation, licensure issues and state/national exams.

During residency, students will begin a course that will be completed during the remainder of the fall semester. First-year students will receive an orientation to Regent and participate in sessions on graduate level writing and online learning technology. The School of Psychology & Counseling usually provides lunch and two breaks daily when courses are in session.

Students should consider the following residency costs: transportation, lodging, meals and textbooks purchased prior to residency. We discourage students from bringing their families during residency as the coursework is intensive and requires a considerable amount of study and preparation time, leaving no time for extracurricular activities.

Waiving of residency requirements will not be considered.

1. Is the GRE required if I already have a master's degree or am enrolled in a master's program?

The master’s level programs require an entrance exam from either the GRE or the MAT. Waivers are only considered if the applicant has completed a doctoral degree with at least a 3.5 GPA from a Regionally accredited college or University.

2. Am I required to attend full time or may I go at my own pace?

Students may select from one of three progressions that allows them to take classes at a pace that works best for their own personal and professional schedules.

3. How many hours do you recommend a master's student work per week?

Due to the number of hours you will be spending in and out of class studying, we suggest you work no more than 20 hours per week. There are a number of part-time graduate assistant positions available every semester at the university that allow for flexible schedules.

4. I didn't major in psychology at the undergraduate level, what do I need to do to make up for this?

We do not require applicants to have majored in psychology at the undergraduate level. We do feel, however, that it is beneficial for applicants to have at least nine credit hours of psychology-related coursework. If you did not major or at least minor in psychology at the undergraduate level, you may want to consider taking additional undergraduate courses. Again, this is not a prerequisite for admission. Recommended courses include: Intro to Psychology, Research Methods/ Statistics, Personality Theory, Human Development, Abnormal Psychology, Psychological Test & Measurements, Social Psychology and Physiological Psychology.

5. How many applicants do you have each year and how many applicants are admitted?

Each year we admit and enroll about 60 students into the online Clinical Mental Health Counseling program and 20 in the Human Services Counseling program. Last year we received over 300 applications.

6. What is the average age of the students?

The average age of the entering class of master's student in the online Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is 34. The average age of the entering class of the master's students in the Human Services Counseling program is 40.

7. What is the path for licensure for graduates from your program?

Licensure is different in each state. However, the general standard for licensure is completion of a 60 credit hour M.A. in Counseling with a major in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling or Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling. Two years of supervision (post-degree) and a state licensure exam is what most states require to become licensed as a professional counselor or its equivalent. School Counseling licensure or certification is determined by the Board of Education in most states. (Usually an M.A. in Counseling in School Counseling is sufficient.) Students should examine the requirements for licensure in the state or states they would like to practice in the future.