Mary E. Myers, Ph.D.Assistant Professor, DSC Program CoordinatorCommunication Departmentcontact me
Mary E. Myers, Ph.D.
Dr. Mary Myers is an assistant professor in Regent University’s School of Communication & the Arts. She built and currently leads the Doctor of Strategic Communication (DSC) doctoral program—the nation’s first technical doctorate in strategic communication. She primarily teaches online in both the DSC and Ph.D. programs.
Myers earned her Ph.D. in Communication (’18) from Regent. She earned her M.A. in Mass Communication and B.S. in Advertising & Public Relations from University of Central Florida. She has taught communication courses at the University of Central Florida and Valencia College in Orlando, Florida, and the College of Saint Rose in Albany, New York.
Myers’ award-winning research uncovered a previously unknown educational radio broadcast pioneer, Dr. Clarence M. Morgan, the Hoosier Schoolmaster of the Air. As a research associate for the Library of Congress’s Radio Preservation Task Force (RPTF) project, her work is part of an ongoing effort to preserve radio broadcasting. It has resulted in a PBS program, presentations at the Library of Congress, and numerous conference awards and presentations.
In 2022, Myers co-authored the textbook Understanding Media Psychology and is the Editor of Global Strategic Communication, an open-access journal launched in the same year. Her research interests include early radio broadcasting, social media and crisis communication.
Myers enjoys volunteering in her spare time. She has served as a team leader for the Walt Disney World Marathon/Half Marathon for over 25 years and the Easter Sunrise services at SeaWorld for over 10 years.
- Understanding Media Psychology, 2021
- “The Birth of Educational Radio Broadcasting at Indiana State University: The Hoosier Schoolmaster of the Air,” 2020
- “Examination of Insecure Attachment & the Potential for Parasocial Personal Attachment (PPA) to a Favorite Celebrity Through Attachment Theory,” 2019
- The Hoosier Schoolmaster of the Air (2016)
- Research Associate, Library of Congress's Radio Preservation Task Force
- Broadcast Educators Association
- National Association of Broadcasters
- National Communication Association
- Regent University Alumni Association
- University of Central Florida Alumni Association
- Valencia College Alumni Association
- Award of Excellence [Audiogram PSA], Memorable Moments in Broadcast History Faculty Competition, BEA/NAB
- 2nd place Award Academic Paper for Radio Royalty: “The Story Princess of the Music Box” (BEA History Division)
- 2nd place Award Debut Academic Paper: “The Hoosier Schoolmaster of the Air” (BEA History Division)