Admission & Residency Requirements

Who is considered an International Student?

Any student who is not a citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States is classified as an international student. International students are non-immigrants to the United States and will be applying for a temporary U.S. visa. The available student visa is the F-1. Students enrolled in other universities on an F-1 visa who wish to transfer to Regent University also fall into this category.

You are also considered international even if you plan on studying strictly online from your home country; however, since you will not be entering the United States, you will not require an F-1 visa or evidence of financial resources. International students studying online will still be required to provide transcript evaluations and TOEFL test scores if applicable.

International Admissions Checklist

Please see the checklist below with steps to apply and click the words in red for more information.

✓ Apply Today!

Regent University utilizes an online application process that allows you to complete most of your application online. Because you will establish a login and password as you begin the online application process, you will be able to complete the application at your own pace which means you may logout and return at a later time to complete your documents.

When you are ready to begin your own application, you may select the Online Application link to set up your online application.

Apply Online »

All degree and non-degree seeking applications to Regent University require a non-refundable application fee. All degree-seeking applications to Regent University require a $50 application fee. For non-degree and certificate programs, please refer to the admission requirements for the school in which you are interested to learn more about the application fee requirement. You may pay the application fee online with a credit card once you have completed your online application, or you may choose to mail the application fee to Regent University's Enrollment Support Services office. Mailed fees can be paid either by a check made out to Regent University or a money order.

Pay Application Fee Online »

✓ Credentials and Test Scores

A necessary part of the application process includes submitting transcripts from educational institutions attended. Please note the requirements for the various levels of application below.

  • Undergraduate applicants to the College of Arts & Sciences: Official transcripts from all institutions attended (high school and college) are required.
  • Graduate applicants to Master's degree programs of study: An official transcript indicating successful completion of a bachelor's degree program is required.
  • Graduate applicants to Specialist and Doctoral degree programs of study: Official transcripts indicating successful completion of both a bachelor's and master's degree program are required.

Regent University's accrediting agency (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) requires official transcripts, which is defined as being received by Regent University in a sealed envelope from the previous educational institution or evaluation agency.

All transcripts that are not from an American institution must be evaluated. A course-by-course evaluation is required and the transcript must be converted to the American Grade Point Average system. Transcripts in a language other than English must also include an official English translation. A list of recommended evaluation agencies is listed below to assist you. Please note Regent is only requiring the evaluation for international transcripts. There is no need to send a copy of your official international transcript to Regent. The translation and evaluation fees must be paid directly to the agency performing the service.

Regent only accepts degrees from universities and colleges that are considered to have regional accreditation. The evaluation agency will determine this information when they conduct the transcript evaluation. If the school you attended is considered “non-accredited”, Regent will not be able to accept credit from the school. Accreditation is intended to assure constituents and the public of the quality and integrity of higher education institutions and programs, and to help those institutions and programs improve. These outcomes are achieved through rigorous internal and external review processes during which the institution is evaluated against a common set of standards. Regional accrediting bodies conduct comprehensive reviews of institutions of higher education and operate primarily in a specific geographical area. The accreditation granted encompasses the entire institution including reported branch campuses, other instructional sites, and distance learning modalities. Regional accrediting bodies typically accredit a wide range of institutions offering associate, baccalaureate, master’s and/or doctoral degrees which include many of America’s most prestigious institutions. (Information obtain from CHEA

A helpful resource to determine if your school has accreditation is to use a service provided by World Education Services called International Degree Preview. It is for your information only and will provide an instant U.S. equivalency for the schools you have attended. This will help you determine if you have the required credentials for study at Regent University. The initial fee for the International Degree Preview is $30 and allows you to enter up to two (2) degrees. You can enter three additional degrees for a fee of $10 per degree. If you order an official WES evaluation via their U.S. ONLINE APPLICATION within seven (7) days, you will receive a credit which will reduce the evaluation fee by $20. The service is limited to post-secondary degrees and recognized degree-granting institutions.

Regent University requires all transcripts from institutions outside of the United States receive a course by course or detailed evaluation from a NACES approved company. Additional information regarding acceptable transcript evaluation agencies for international students may be found by visiting NACES.

Please see a list of recommended international transcript evaluation agencies below:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 51470
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Tel: +1 414-289-3400

Educational Perspectives
P.O. Box A3462
Chicago, IL 60690-3462
Tel: +1 312-421-9300

World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Tel: +1 212-966-6311

**If your transcript(s) is not evaluated by one of the agencies listed above or on the linked website, we will require you to resubmit using one of the approved agencies.**

Recommended Translation Agency:

University Language Services
15 Maiden Lane,
Suite 300
New York, NY 10038
Tel: 1-800-419-4601
Outside of the US: 1-212-766-4111

All students enrolled in Regent University are required to be proficient in the English language. For international students in which English is not the primary language of their country, either the TOEFL®, PTE Academic® or the IELTS® exam must be taken to demonstrate one's effectiveness with the English language. These tests may be waived, as listed below the table.

Individuals that will need to take the TOEFL exam should consult the TOEFL® website to learn more about locations, times and costs associated with the exam.**


Minimum TOEFL® requirement

Computer 233*
Internet 90*
Paper 577*
Regent's institutions code: 5135


Information about PTE Academic® can be found here as well as consulting their website.


Minimum PTE Academic® requirement

Internet 61*


Information about the IELTS® can be found at their website.


Minimum IELTS® requirement

Internet 7


The tests can be waived in the following circumstances:

  • Non-native speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from postsecondary institutions in English-speaking countries (e.g., the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand);
  • Non-native speakers who have successfully completed at least a two-year postsecondary course of study in which English was the language of instruction;
  • Transfer students from institutions in the United States or Canada whose postsecondary academic course work was favorably evaluated in relation to its demands and duration;
  • Non-native speakers who have taken the TOEFL® or PTE Academic® test within the past two years and whose scores met Regent standards


*Students interested in the School of Law will have a higher test score requirement.

**TOEFL® scores are valid for two years after the test date and there is no limit to the number of times you can take the test, but you cannot take it more than once in a 12-day period.

Depending on the program that you are applying for, Regent requires official test scores. These consist of the GRE, GMAT or MAT test scores for Doctoral or Masters level programs to the ACT or SAT test scores for Undergraduate programs. Please consult with your admissions counselor to determine which test scores you will need to submit.

✓ F-1 Student Requirements (If you are studying on campus)

As an addendum to the Regent University admission application is the Supplementary International ApplicationPDF. Please wait to submit this form until six months prior to the start date of your program to ensure the most up to date information.

The following chart outlines the deadlines for application, admission and I-20 Issuance.

To receive an I-20 issued by Regent University, you must:

  • Submit all required admission materials by the established deadline. This includes the Application, the Application Fee, the Supplemental Application, Official Transcripts, and evidence of housing and transportation (if living off campus).
  • Be accepted by your school of interest by the established deadline.
  • Meet the I-20 issuance requirements by submitting the following items by the established deadlines: Enrollment Deposit, Financial Certification Form, and copies of all required Immigration Documents (The passport copy is required for all applicants. In addition to the passport copy, the following items are required for applicants who are applying from within the United States: a copy of the original and latest visa, a copy of the I-94 arrival/departure record, and a copy of any other supporting immigration documents, such as any I-797 change of status approval notices, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), etc.).

An I-20 cannot be issued after the dates listed below so international applicants applying to attend school at Regent University should begin the admission process nine to twelve (9-12) months in advance of their intended enrollment date in order to insure you will meet the established deadlines. Please read the sections below for more details about these important requirements and deadlines.

International student applicants should allow at least four to six (4-6) weeks for an admission decision to be made once the applicant has submitted all required documents to the appropriate offices and has followed all processes and procedures required for an admission decision.

Important Information: Do not make your visa appointment until you have your I-20. You will not be able to obtain a visa without your I-20. We cannot expedite or "rush" an I-20 to you if you have scheduled a visa appointment without an I-20.

If it is more than 120 days (four months) before your Program Start Date, do not request an I-20. International Admissions only issues I-20s within 120 days of your Program Start Date.


International Application,
Decision, & I-20 Issuance Deadlines

Enrollment Term

International Application Deadlines

(Date by which the applicant must submit his/her application and all required Admissions documents)

I-20 Issuance Deadlines

(Date by which all applicants must submit all documents required for the I-20)

Fall Semester

Overseas/Initial Attendance Students

February 15

April 1

Immigration Transfer Students/ Regent COL (F-1 students who are transferring from another U.S. institution or students who are changing their degree levels at Regent.)

March 15

*current I-20 must be valid

May 15

Spring Semester

Overseas/Initial Attendance Students

June 15

August 1

Immigration Transfer Students/ Regent COL (F-1 students who are transferring from another U.S. institution or students who are changing their degree levels at Regent.)

July 15

*current I-20 must be valid

September 1

For questions about this chart or international admissions, please email us at
Click here for pdf version of this chart.

International students must supply a copy of their current, valid passport with an expiration date of at least six months beyond the end date of their program.

If you are applying to Regent from within the United States, a copy of the following items are required:  A copy of the original visa you first used to enter the United States, a copy of your current or most recent visa, a copy of your I-94 arrival/departure record, and a copy of any other supporting immigration documents, such as any I-797 change of status approval notices, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), etc.). We need all copies of these forms.

It is important for international applicants to understand the great financial responsibility of attending a university in the U.S.

The potential of financial aid awards and/or on-campus employment opportunities through Regent University to international students cannot be guaranteed and should therefore not be expected. An interested international applicant should seek out all possible means of funding for educational expenses. Please visit Central Financial Aid's website for information about scholarships available for international students.

If applying for a Student (F) visa or if you hold this visa already, you are required to certify that you will have the sum for all expenses during your first year at Regent University. The supporting documents that are required for the Financial Certification Form must be translated in English. If you plan to bring your spouse and/or children, a proportionately larger amount of money must be certified. The first year expenses include tuition, living expenses, and other estimated expenses to be incurred for books, incidentals, etc. Finances are not required to be considered for acceptance into the school but must be proven before the I-20 can be issued.

Important note regarding scholarships: If you will be receiving a tuition scholarship, you still must complete the Financial Certification Form showing finances for student fees and living estimates. Please attach the award letter on Regent Letterhead showing the amount of the scholarship in percentage or USD. Contact your admissions counselor to receive this letter after you have been notified of an award.

Please click here to access the Financial Estimates and Financial Certification Form.

If you are currently attending a school in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, please have your current institutions' Designated School Official fill out the Transfer Eligibility Form and mail it to Regent University at the address provided on the transfer form. The form will be provided to you, upon acceptance, by Regent University's Designated School Official. Before acceptance, please attach copies of your immigration documents and any for your dependents:

  • All I-20 forms forms ever received
  • Copy of current or most recent U.S. Visa history pages
  • I-94 Arrival Departure Record, printed from
  • Employment Authorization Document (if applicable)

✓ Enrolling / Residency Requirements

Once academically accepted, an Enrollment Deposit is due for all international students enrolling in classes, which will be applied toward tuition for the first semester of study. Please contact your enrollment counselor for more information pertaining to your specific deposit requirement. When the deposit is received and all financial documentation is verified, you will be considered admitted to the University. Regent University will then issue the SEVIS I-20.

*This change in the Enrollment Deposit is effective for the Fall 2013 academic term forward.*

Some online masters and doctoral degree programs offer the option of attending an on-campus residency as part of the program.  If your program of study includes the option of on-campus residency, please review the following information.

First-Time Residency Participants:

Non-immigrant students participating in on-campus residencies for online degree programs are responsible for ensuring they have proper immigration status for their studies at Regent.  An I-20 is required for residency students to apply for an F-1 student visa and to obtain the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry.  Not all of Regent's on-campus residencies will qualify for I-20 issuance by the University for the on-campus portions of certain online degrees.  Please contact your program advisor for further guidance on whether or not your program qualifies for I-20 issuance.  If you are a nonimmigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status, you will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree. Please submit all required documents five (5) months prior to your Residency start date. The required documentation includes a copy of your passport, the Supplementary International Application PDFand Financial Certification form. Documents may be submitted to

Returning Residency Students:

If you are required to return to campus for a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, then you must submit the required documentation to Enrollment Support Services at least four (4) months in advance of your next residency start date. The required documentation includes the Residency Student Request for a New I-20 and the Financial Certification Form. Documents may be submitted to

All Residency Students:

You will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree if you are a nonimmigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor, or visa waiver, immigration status.  You must obtain F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry for participation in your on-campus residency.  In order to receive the I-20, which is required to obtain the F-1 visa and the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry, all required documents must be submitted five (5) months prior to your Residency start date. Documents may be submitted to

If you are a nonimmigrant student who is in a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, and you have submitted all required international documentation but not received your I-20 at least three (3) months in advance of your residency start-date, then please contact your admissions counselor by calling 1.800.373.5504, or via email at

Regent University is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. Prior to enrollment at the University, non-immigrants who have been admitted to Regent must provide evidence that they are lawfully in the country and that they are in a status that allows for enrollment.


Please contact us with questions by calling 1.800.373.5504, or via email at