Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Program
Regent University recognizes that learning takes place inside and outside of college classrooms. College credit is offered for demonstrable college level learning—either knowledge or skills—acquired through such sources as the following:
- Training programs, seminars, workshops, non-credit courses or in-service courses
- Military service
- Licenses, certificates and awards for special competencies
- Community activities
Students may pursue up to twenty-four hours of credit on a Pass/Fail basis through the PLA program through a careful process of documenting the knowledge and skills gained through prior learning. To document such learning, students are required to prepare a comprehensive portfolio according to specific instructions, including substantial evidence of such learning.
Due to the length of time needed to complete and evaluate a PLA portfolio, this program is open to admitted degree-seeking students at Regent and is designed to assist students in earning credits toward fulfilling degree requirements.
Students should be aware that although they may have earned particular certifications outside of a traditional classroom within a specific discipline, academic credit may not always be awarded when university standards are applied. Any earned credits will be posted to the student’s academic record in the semester in which credit is awarded and are non-transferable. Credits earned through the PLA program cannot be duplicated through any other mechanism for earning credit.
There is a $125 fee due at time of PLA portfolio submission. This fee covers one portfolio submission within a single academic discipline and permits potential credit awarding for up to 3 courses (9 total credit hours).
- Complete the PLA Self-Assessment to determine if Prior Learning Assessment fits your academic journey and your learning style.*
- Once you complete the Self-Assessment, a member of our PLA team will be in contact with you regarding the results of your survey and applicable next steps.
- If approved to submit a portfolio, students may provide one draft to the PLA team for review and feedback prior to final submission if desired. A sample PLA Portfolio can be found here.
- Once all revisions have been made, students will submit final version of the portfolio, completed PLA application, and PLA fee.
- Faculty will review PLA portfolio and provide credit award recommendations within 10 business days.
*Please ensure that you select whether you are seeking undergraduate or graduate-level PLA credit. For Graduate students, this opportunity at Regent University is available to apply up to 20% of their graduate program credit hour requirement through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). Please note that the Graduate-Level PLA Form must be submitted within the first two semesters of the student’s enrollment into their respective program.
Who should I contact with questions?
Prior Learning Assessment Program
Regent University Office of Advising
1000 Regent University Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464