Regent University Appoints New Director of Athletics Michael W. Allen
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (July 1, 2022) – Today, Regent University appointed Michael W. Allen as its new Director of Athletics. Allen will oversee 11 NCCAA Division I sports, and all coaches and staff in the Regent Athletics department.
“Allen is an accomplished leader with a proven track record in building and developing world-class athletic programs,” said Dr. Joseph Umidi, executive vice president for Student Life at Regent University. “He is dedicated to serving Regent athletes with excellence, innovation, and integrity. We look forward to continued growth and expansion for Regent Athletics under his leadership.”
Allen’s extensive career highlights include:
- Director of Athletics at The Apprentice School
- Athletic Director at StoneBridge School
- Director of Athletics and Head Boys Basketball coach at Norfolk Christian Schools
- Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach at Maryville College
- Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach at Lincoln Trail College
- Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach at Indiana State University
- Strategic Planning Committee member at United States Collegiate Athletic Association
- Officer and Board of Director member at Eastern Metro Athletic Conference
- Vice President Officer and Board of Director member at Peninsula Sports Club
- Head Coach at Portsmouth Invitational Tournament
- Eastern Region Representative at Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association
- President and Vice President of the Tidewater Conference of Independent Schools
- Bachelor of Science in Health & Physical Education from Chowan University
“I am deeply humbled and honored to accept the role of Director of Athletics at Regent University,” said Allen. “I want to thank Dr. Umidi for his confidence in entrusting me to lead the Royals athletic department. The future is bright for Regent Athletics and I look forward to building on our strong foundation of Winning with Character, and furthering the university’s mission of Christian Leadership to Change the World.”
Regent Athletics has 11 NCCAA Division I sports teams, including Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track, Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track, Men’s and Women’s Cross Country, Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Men’s and Women’s Soccer, and Women’s Volleyball. To learn more about Regent Athletics, visit www.RegentRoyals.com.
About Regent University
Founded in 1978, Regent University is America’s premier Christian university with more than 11,000 students studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in more than 150 areas of study including, business, communication and the arts, counseling, cybersecurity, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing, healthcare, and psychology. Regent University is ranked the #1 Best Accredited Online College in the United States (Study.com, 2020), the #1 Safest College Campus in Virginia (YourLocalSecurity, 2021), and the #1 Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia for ten years in a row (U.S. News & World Report, 2022).