Regent University Appoints Dr. Simon Tarr as Dean of The Honors College
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (April 27, 2022) – The Regent University Board of Trustees has named Dr. Simon Tarr as the new dean of The Honors College, effective July 1, 2022. Dr. M. G. “Pat” Robertson, Founder, Chancellor & CEO of Regent University, made the announcement today.
“Dr. Tarr is a distinguished leader who has displayed exemplary innovation, excellence, and integrity throughout his career,” said Robertson. “I am delighted to welcome to Regent this remarkable innovator whose vast accomplishments will inspire generations of world changers. I know that the Regent community – and especially our outstanding honors students – will benefit from his exemplary leadership.”
Tarr holds a Ph.D. in Information Science from the University of South Carolina, an MFA in Film Production from Ohio University, and a B.A. in Film and Video from Penn State. His extensive career highlights include:
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, University of South Carolina School of Visual Art and Design
- Faculty Principal, Rhodos Fellows Learning Community for Information, Design, and Computing
- Professor of Media Arts, University of South Carolina
- President, University Film and Video Foundation
- Curator and Delegate, American Documentary Showcase, U.S. Department of State
- Chair of the Board of Directors, Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers
- Co-holds a patent in virtual reality technology
“I am deeply humbled and honored to accept the role of Dean of The Honors College at Regent University,” Tarr shared. “The Honors College attracts brilliant students who have come to explore the true meaning of greatness through a rigorous curriculum under the teaching and mentorship of some of the brightest
faculty in the nation. I look forward to working alongside The Honors College faculty at Regent to provide honors students with the highest quality education.”
The Honors College provides students with world-class academics, best-in-class support, advanced honors curriculum, and mentorship opportunities. The Honors College seeks to develop thought leaders who can provide strategic solutions to real-world problems. In each class, honors students collaboratively apply classical and contemporary thought, utilize analytical skills, and engage in creative problem-solving in a wide array of academic disciplines. Students in The Honors College have an average GPA of 3.98. Outside of The Honors College, Regent’s Fall 2022 incoming freshman class has an average high school GPA of 3.78 – up from 3.41 in Fall 2021.
Students in The Honors College also enjoy the following benefits:
- Exclusive scholarships awarded to all Honors College students
- Extensive mentorship opportunities with renowned faculty
- Advanced seminars and leadership training
- Access to travel funds on a competitive basis
- Priority class registration & graduate library privileges
- Unique access to international leaders in ministry, industry and government
- Competitive fellow positions in the Regent University Center for Christian Thought & Action
Tarr will assume his new role for the 2022-2023 academic year on July 1, 2022. In addition to serving as dean of The Honors College, Tarr will also serve as interim director of the School of Communications and the Arts. Regent will anticipate enhancing instruction in virtual reality under the leadership of Dr. Tarr and his colleagues.
“For more than 40 years, Regent University has trained Christian leaders to change the world. Regent is committed to providing excellent education and an engaging student experience,” said Dr. William L. Hathaway, executive vice president for Academic Affairs at Regent University. “Dr. Tarr’s distinguished academic career will be invaluable to our students, alumni, and the entire Regent community.”
For more information about The Honors College, visit https://www.regent.edu/honors-college/
About Regent University Founded in 1977, Regent University is America’s premier Christian university with more than 11,000 students studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in more than 150 areas of study including business, communication and the arts, counseling, cybersecurity, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing, healthcare, and psychology. Regent University is ranked the #1 Best Accredited Online College in the United States (Study.com, 2020), the #1 Safest College Campus in Virginia (YourLocalSecurity, 2021), and the #1 Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia for ten years in a row (U.S. News & World Report, 2022).