Regent University School of Divinity Welcomes New Faculty Members
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (July 1, 2021) – Today, the Regent University School of Divinity announced the appointment of six new faculty members and a new administrative role.
“The School of Divinity is experiencing exponential enrollment growth, and we are thrilled to welcome new faculty and staff to support our increasing student body,” said Dr. Corné Bekker, dean of the School of Divinity. “These appointments underscore our commitment to academic excellence, and to furthering the mission of Christian Leadership to Change the World.”
New Faculty Appointments:
Leroy Gilbert, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership from Regent University
- Ed.D. at Nova Southeastern University (ABD)
- S.T.M. in Pastoral Ministry and Counseling from Yale University Divinity School
- M.A. in Psychology with a concentration in Pastoral Care and Counseling from United States International University
- M.Div. in Practical Theology from Howard University
- B.A. in Social Studies and Preparatory Theology from American Baptist College
- Served on active duty as a Navy Chaplain, retiring with the rank of Navy Captain (O-6), having served in all four sea services: Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine. He was selected to several key leadership, managerial, pastoral, teaching, supervisory, and administrative positions, including the Chaplain of the United States Coast Guard.
- Pastoral experience includes: Senior Pastor, Mt. Gilead Baptist Church, Washington, D.C.; Senior Pastor, First Baptist Church, Manassas, VA; Co-Pastor, the Black Church at Yale, New Haven, CT; Senior Chaplain, U.S. Coast Guard Academy Chapel, New London, CT; and Chaplain, Naval Postgraduate School Chapel, Monterey, CA. He is affiliated and ordained by both the American Baptist Churches, USA, and the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
Jordan Jones, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- M.A., M.Phil., and Ph.D. in Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East from Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion
- M.A. in Religious Studies from Liberty University
- B.A. in Pastoral Leadership and Biblical Exposition from Liberty University
- Studied historical geography at Jerusalem University College in Israel
- Research topics include the First Temple Period, languages, history, and archaeology of Iron Age Israel. He also spent time at the Nelson Glueck School of Biblical Archaeology in Jerusalem, excavating at Tel Dan.
Lawrence Oseje, Ph.D., Instructor
- Ph.D. in Interreligious Studies from Africa International University
- Executive Director of Destiny Impact Mission International
- Senior Lecturer in Theology and Biblical Studies at Kabarak University
- Langham Scholar
- Chairman of Africa Scholarship Exchange, ASE-Kenya
- Academy Fellow for International Council for Evangelical Education, ICETE
- Served at Africa International University, Pac University, and as a lecturer in Uganda Christian University in Islamic Studies.
- Expert on Christianity on the African continent and is passionate about proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ with all people and especially with Muslims.
Matt Fretwell, D.Min., Instructor
- D.Min. in Great Commission Reproducible Disciple-Making from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Div. from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.A. of Theology from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Lead church planter at Story Church in Virginia Beach, Va.
- Advocate board member of Living Bread Ministries
- Board member of Salvage USA
- Consultant in business, non-profit, church management, leadership, church planting, revitalization, and disciple-making
Sharon Mitchell, Ph.D. (ABD), Instructor
- Ph.D. in Theological Studies from Regent University, presently completing dissertation
- M.Div. from Regent University
- Recipient of a national student scholarship by the Evangelical Theological Society
- Writing on the Biblical Presence of the Trinity through the Speech Event answering the research question: “How God is Both One and Triune”.
- Interests include the study of God’s Word and serving the church in the ministry of teaching
Ewen Butler, Ph.D., Instructor
- Ph.D. in Pentecostal and Charismatic History
- M.Div. in Pastoral Ministry
- M.A. in Theological Studies
- Undergraduate degrees in arts and teacher education
- Since 2009, he has been the lead pastor at Church On The Hill, Cobourg, Ontario, Canada where he has also served as a presbyter, hospital chaplain, and leader of the local ministerial network that has spearheaded initiatives to provide housing for lower-income families and to welcome refugees.
- He is the author of Canadian Winds of the Spirit: Holiness, Pentecostal, and Charismatic Currents published by Emeth Press, Asbury, KY in 2018. Dr. Butler continues to write articles for his denominational journal, academic book reviews, to present conference papers and is currently collaborating on a project in Pentecostalism and education.
New Staff Appointment:
Matthew Chandler., M.Div., Director of Operations
- M.Div. from Regent University
- B.A. in Biblical Studies from Regent University
- Previously served as Senior Academic Advisor and then Assistant to the Deans for the School of Divinity
In addition to these appointments, the School of Divinity is conducting a national search for a faculty member in Church History and Historical Theology. For more information, visit www.regent.edu/hr.
About Regent University
Founded in 1977, Regent University is America’s premier Christian university with over 11,000 students online and on campus in Virginia Beach, VA. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in more than 150 areas of study, including business, communication and the arts, cybersecurity and technology, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing and healthcare, and psychology. Regent University tops the list of Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in Virginia and is ranked among top national universities by U.S. News & World Report. Along with a commitment to academic excellence, what sets Regent apart is its mission to prepare Christian leaders to change the world.
About the School of Divinity
The School of Divinity is one of the fastest growing seminaries in the nation. This interdenominational school of theology is anchored in a renewal perspective, with a focus on sanctification and the inner, personal change of self through the power of the Holy Spirit. Accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of Association of Theological Schools (ATS), the School of Divinity is listed among ATS’ Top 5 Largest M.Div. programs. Our degree programs prepare Christian leaders to serve in churches and on the mission field, and in education, the marketplace, military settings, and beyond. Whether online or on campus, you will receive the academically excellent, biblically focused education and practical tools needed to fulfill your ministry calling and impact lives for Christ.