Goodbye Blackboard – Hello Canvas: Regent University to Transition to New Learning Management System by Fall 2023
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (April 3, 2023) – Regent University will complete the roll out of a new learning management system in Fall 2023: Canvas by Instructure. Canvas will replace Blackboard as the university’s primary software for course instruction.
“At Regent University, our core values are excellence, innovation, and integrity,” shared Michael Pregitzer, Associate Vice President for Strategic Initiatives at Regent University. “Guided by these values, Regent has become a trailblazer and a respected leader in online education. Our students deserve the very best instruction, technology, and support.”
Canvas is the top online learning platform in North America, offering a user experience that is simple, engaging, and reliable. The Canvas mobile app for Android and iOS provides easy access to courses from mobile devices, and it can notify users of upcoming events and requirements.
Regent will fully transition to Canvas in Fall 2023. Some courses will be instructed in Canvas in Summer 2023.
Canvas integration timeline:
- May 8, 2023: Beginning in the Summer semester, all courses in the School of Divinity will be offered on Canvas.
- August 19, 2023: Blackboard access will be removed for students.
- August 21, 2023: Beginning in the Fall semester, all remaining courses will be instructed in Canvas.
Students will receive email instructions for a smooth transition to Canvas, including steps on how to archive Blackboard course content. As classes become available on Canvas, students can access them by logging in to the MyRegent Portal and clicking on the Canvas link on the left navigation menu.
Support for Canvas is available through the following resources:
- Canvas Resources: Visit www.regent.edu/misc/canvas to learn more. Canvas for Students is a helpful page, as well as this introductory video. This link provides a side-by-side comparison between Blackboard and Canvas.
- IT HelpDesk: Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (757) 352-4076, or visit www.regent.edu/it.
- Canvas Help Icon: Within Canvas on the left navigation bar, click on the Help icon.
About Regent University
Founded in 1977, Regent University is America’s Premier Christian University, with more than 13,000 students studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in more than 150 areas of study including business, communication and the arts, counseling, cybersecurity, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing, healthcare, and psychology. Regent University has been ranked the #1 Best Accredited Online College in the United States (Study.com, 2020), the #1 Safest College Campus in Virginia (YourLocalSecurity, 2021), and the #1 Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia for 11 years in a row (U.S. News & World Report, 2023).