Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG)

What is it?

A grant from the Commonwealth of Virginia to all U.S. citizens who are residents of Virginia and attending private institutions in the Commonwealth. Students who are enrolled in certain undergraduate Religion & Philosophy majors are not eligible for this award (see list below). Students in the Master’s in Human Services Counseling program are the only graduate students eligible to receive TAG.

How much is the grant?

The award amounts may vary and are subject to change during the academic year depending upon the state’s funding.

The award amount for the 2018-2019 academic year is $3,270 ($1,635 per semester) for undergraduates and $1,640 ($820 per semester) for eligible graduate programs.

Note: VTAG and institutional scholarships cannot exceed the cost of tuition when combined.

What are the general qualifications?

The student must be enrolled full-time in a degree seeking undergraduate program. Full-time enrollment for undergraduate students is 12 credit hours per semester. The only graduate program eligible for TAG is the Master’s in Human Services Counseling. Students in this program must enroll for 9 credit hours per semester.

The student must be a domiciliary resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia for at least 12 months prior to enrollment. He/she must have taken steps that show an intent to stay in Virginia indefinitely. These steps include (but are not limited to) obtaining a driver’s license, paying state taxes, registering to vote in Virginia and having his/her car registered in the Commonwealth. A student must not have begun classes within the first year of moving to Virginia. Doing so makes the student ineligible for the award.

Military Spouse/Dependent Exception: By providing orders showing your spouse or parent (dependent students only) is currently stationed in Virginia, you may meet the domiciliary requirement for VTAG regardless of what state you claim residency.

Learn more information about establishing Virginia domicile.

The following undergraduate Religion & Philosophy majors ARE ELIGIBLE for TAG:

  • Religious Studies (B.A.)*
  • Christian Leadership & Management (B.A.)
  • Christian Studies (A.A.)

The following undergraduate Religion & Philosophy majors ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for TAG:

  • Christian Ministry (B.A.)
  • Biblical & Theological Studies (B.A.)

* The Religious Studies major is no longer open for new students.

How do I earn the grant?

Students need to obtain an application and mail or deliver it to the Student Financial Aid Office by July 31 to be eligible for the grant for the upcoming academic year. Applications received after July 31, but not later than December 1, may receive a partial award depending on the state’s funding. Recommended submission date is by June 1, prior to the start of the fall semester.


2018-2019 academic year application

Applicants are categorized by student type and application submission date:

  • Category 1: Returning students who are eligible for fall and spring terms and received a TAG award in the previous fiscal year.
  • Category 2: New students to the institution’s TAG program who are eligible for the fall and spring terms and who apply for the TAG program by July 31. This category includes new freshmen, transfer students and eligible returning students who did not receive a TAG award in the previous fiscal year.
  • Category 3: New students to the TAG program who are eligible for the fall and spring term awards and who apply between August 1 and September 14. Students applying after September 14 are not eligible for fall awards regardless of enrollment status (may not be funded by state).
  • Category 4: All students eligible for spring term awards only and who apply by December 1 (may not be funded by state).

Students in Categories 1 and 2 will be funded for the fall and spring terms if the student meets all eligibility criteria.

Category 3 and 4 students will be funded if and when the state legislature determines there is appropriate funding to allocate for this category of student. This usually does not take place until late in the spring term.Category 3 and 4 students should not expect to be funded at the start of their term, if at all.

When can I receive the grant?

Students may receive the grant in the fall and spring semesters only, provided they take at least 12 credit hours (undergraduate) or nine credit hours (M.A. in Human Services Counseling) each semester. Students who are in their last year of school and received VTAG for the prior year may be eligible to receive a prorated award amount. Undergraduates may receive the award for no more than eight total semesters (including terms received at any prior colleges attended). Students in the M.A. in Human Services Counseling program may receive the award for no more than six semesters (for all graduate programs, schools attended and academic levels combined).

Undergraduate School A – Received for two terms
Transfer to Regent Undergraduate – Can receive up to six terms

NOTE: Students denied for the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant have the right to appeal the decision. Click here for information on the VTAG Appeal Process.


More information about the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant program is available on the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) website. If you are not a Virginia resident, SCHEV also provides information about financial aid programs offered within your state.