Virginia Community College Transfer Grant

What is it?

A grant from the Commonwealth of Virginia to U.S. citizens who are residents of Virginia and graduated from a Virginia Community College. Students who are enrolled in certain undergraduate religion & philosophy majors are not eligible for this award (see list below).

How much is the grant?

Maximum annual standard award is $1,000 ($500 per term).

Additional $1,000 ($500 per term) for students enrolled into a degree program in: engineering, mathematics, nursing, teaching or science

What are the general qualifications?

  • Be a first-time entering freshman no earlier than fall 2007
  • Be an undergraduate in-state student (learn more about establishing Virginia domicile.)
  • Meet selective service requirements
  • Have received an associate’s degree at a Virginia two-year public institution
  • Have cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 for the associate’s degree
  • Enroll full-time by the fall following completion of associate’s degree
  • Enroll into a degree program not for religious training or theological education
    • The following undergraduate religion & philosophy majors ARE ELIGIBLE:
      • Religious Studies (B.A.)
      • Christian Studies (A.A.)
    • The following undergraduate religion & philosophy majors ARE NOT ELIGIBLE:
      • Christian Ministry (B.A.)
      • Biblical & Theological Studies (B.A.)
  • Have applied for financial aid by completing the federal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Have financial need: defined as a federally calculated EFC of $8,000 or less. For students first gaining eligibility as of fall 2012, the maximum EFC is 9,000. For students first gaining eligibility as of fall 2013, the maximum EFC is 12,000.

How do I earn the grant?

The Virginia Community College Transcript notes whether a student is eligible for this grant. Regent staff reviews official transcripts upon receipt and award. Please note that a FAFSA must be on file (and verified if applicable), in order for the grant to be awarded. Please contact Regent’s Student Financial Aid office at 757.352.4125 if you believe you are eligible for this grant, but it has not been awarded.

How do I apply for the grant?

Regent University will review your admission application and academic transcripts to determine your eligibility for the grant. If you believe you qualify, you may apply directly for the grant using the 2017-2018 academic year application. Submit your completed application form directly to Student Financial Aid. Acceptable submission options include faxing to 757.352.4118 and email to Original copies can be mailed or delivered to Student Financial Aid at 1000 Regent University Drive, Virginia Beach Virginia 23464.

More information about the Virginia Community College Transfer Grant program is available on the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) website.