Online Writing Sample
Writing samples for our master's level applicants are collected and evaluated using the ETS Criterion Service. Your writing sample will be scored on basic composition structure, proper grammar and style so please plan to submit your essay accordingly.
Please submit your writing sample using the directions below.
- Start at the following webpage: http://criterion.ets.org.
- Click “Go to Criterion Student Website” (in blue at the top of the page).
- Click “Register (I am a new user)” and enter your access ID and password.
- Access ID: “SPC” followed by the year you are applying (no spaces). For example “SPC2013”
- Password: writing
- Click “Continue”.
- Create a User Name and Password.
- Click “Create Registration”. Be sure to use the same spelling of your name as you provided on your admissions application. You will then be redirected to the SPC Writing Sample home page.
- You will be provided with the question/writing prompt once you begin the timer for the essay.
- Read the instructions for submitting your essay. Please keep in mind that you have 40 minutes to complete your writing sample. You will receive a warning when there are 10 minutes remaining on the timer.
- Click “Continue” and begin typing your writing sample.
***The font used by ETS is different than that used by word. Some functions, such as the Tab, are disabled. If a function is disabled just continue with your essay. Do not try to compensate for the disabled function or your essay will be marked with errors by ETS (i.e.: do not press the space bar 5 times for a Tab, just don’t Tab).***