Vice President for Human Resources and Administration
“Regent students learn more than what they are taught in their coursework. They also learn by observing and interacting with Regent employees, who are real-life role models of excellence, innovation and integrity in the workplace.”
Leadership in Human Resources and Administration
- Responsible for leading the university's strategic management of its human resources as a vital part of overall marketplace competitiveness.
- Develops and implements strategies to establish and maintain a healthy and positive workplace environment for faculty, staff and students.
- Develops university-wide personnel policies and procedures to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Oversees all record keeping and procedural functions required to ensure that employment, compensation, benefits, safety, personnel and equal opportunity policies and practices comply with applicable criteria of accrediting agencies, governmental agencies, and federal and state labor laws.
- Provides leadership, strategic planning, and budgetary management for all employees within the Human Resources department.
Ms. Martha Smith
Ms. Smith has led the Human Resources Department since 1983. She is responsible for managing and implementing the overall organizational strategy of Regent University's faculty and staff. She serves as an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the School of Law, teaching courses in the M.A. in Law degree program.
She holds her Juris Doctorate (JD) from the Regent University School of Law and M.A. in Management from the Regent University School of Business & Leadership. Ms. Smith has been certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) by the Human Resources Certification Institute since 2001.
Active in the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) since 1985, she has held various leadership roles, including Hampton Roads SHRM chapter president in 1992 and 1993, president of the Virginia SHRM State Council in 2001 and 2002, and district director for the Eastern District of the Virginia SHRM State Council in 2008 and 2009. Ms. Smith has also been an active member of the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR) for many years. As a participant in her local community, Ms. Smith serves on the board of directors of ABNB Federal Credit Union.