"But you, be strong and do not lose courage, for there is reward for your work."
This page provides links and resources to help you throughout your career development with training resources, job search engines, occupational research tools and more.
The links below open in a new browser window.
Center for Student Development (CSD)
Here you will find a wide variety of job skill and preparation workshop materials.
Job Preparation Workshop Archived MP3s
The "Job & Career" section of CSD's iTunesU library contains downloadable materials on these topics. Be sure to also browse the "Professional Skills" and other archives.
CSD Training Websites (see the CSD website for others):
- StudentCenter.com - sample resumés, cover letters, interviews
- CareerLab.com - Click "Cover Letter Library" for over 200 cover letter samples.
Exploring Job Realities
Virginia View is an online database of labor market information, updated annually, for the U. S. and the commonwealth of Virginia. It can help the user research majors and jobs of potential interest, salary averages, state and national employment outlook, and much more. You may use the free career hotline at 1.800.542.5870 for answers to career-related questions.
A large searchable database including information on expected income, educational prerequisites, geographical demand and more. This site is fantastic but may be vague for first-time users. Set up an appointment to let the Career Resource Center walk you through it. Or click here for a useful O*Net tutorial to answer common questions about job fit, career preparation, and job market trends.
A wealth of career information, including job outlook and wages.
Job Search Resources
Web-based: The library has an extensive list of online job search engines. Unfortunately, they are not all created equal. We suggest starting with Job Bank USA.
Other excellent sources of corporate information:
- www.regentalumni.org/jobs - Browse Regent's online job bank, maintained by the Alumni Association.
- Hoovers.com - Browse more than 4,000 corporate home pages.
- CompaniesOnline.com - Search from a database of 60,000 companies.
- Yahoo.com/Business - Directory of business information on the Internet.
- BigBook.com - Contact information on businesses.
Information on majors and academic programs
- Petersons.com - Find which degree programs are available at professional, graduate and undergrad schools.
- Career.utk.edu/majors - What can I do with this major?
- Albion.edu - Another helpful "What can I do with this major?" site.
Listed below are books that everyone should read somewhere along their career pathway:
- Bolles, Richard. What Color is Your Parachute?
- Gale, Linda. Discover What You're Best At: A Complete Career System that Lets You Test Yourself to Discover Your Own True Career Abilities.
- Griffiths, Bob. Do What You Love for the Rest of Your Life: A Practical Guide to Career Change and Personal Renewal.
- Skillings, Pamela. Escape from Corporate America.
- Tieger, Paul. Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You through the Secrets of Your Personality.