Imagery of Regent people and campus

F-1 Student Visa/Status

Applying For a Non immigrant F-1 Student Visa in Your Home Country

Note: Canadian nationals and citizens of Bermuda are not required to obtain a F-1 visa. However, the appropriate immigration document (Form I-20) must be presented at the U.S. port of entry in order to obtain F-1 Student Immigration Status, which is required for any degree related work at Regent.

  • You must be academically and financially admitted into a Regent University degree program before you can apply for an F-1 student visa.

  • Once you are admitted, Regent University will send you a SEVIS Form I-20 (immigration document). This verifies that you have been accepted into a specific degree program for the expected length of your program, and that you have a certain amount of funds available for your education and living expenses. Read "Instructions to Students" on page 2, sign and complete item #11 on page 1. The SEVIS Form I-20 will be presented to the U.S. embassy or consulate when you apply for a student visa.

  • Make an appointment for an interview with the U.S. embassy or consulate in your area of residence. June and July are the busiest months at most consular sections, so it may be difficult to make an appointment during those months. It is important to plan ahead so that you won’t have to make repeat visits. However, an F-1 visa cannot be granted more than 120 days before the program start date noted on line #5 of the SEVIS Form I-20 issued to you by Regent. (To locate U.S. embassies and consular offices worldwide, and for specific visa application instructions, visit Opens in a new browser window.)

  • Attend your interview. Be prepared with all the documents you could possibly need (see below).

Preparation for the Visa Interview

Please visit this U.S. State Department website for details about the F-1 visa Application process.

F-2 Visa: Bringing Family Members to Live With You

Your spouse/children may be able to enter the U.S. with you on an F-2 visa. You will want to submit their application for an F-2 visa at the same time you submit yours. Each dependent will receive his/her own SEVIS I-20. Regent University will only include your spouse/children on the SEVIS Form I-20 if you have proven sufficient finances to support them while you are a student. Very Important! Under NO circumstances may an individual on an F-2 visa be allowed to work in the U.S. There are no exceptions.

Maintaining F-1 Status

Once admitted to the United States with F-1 status, you must meet the following obligations in order to remain in legal status. Click here for detail

back to top