Marie Summerlin Hamm
Assistant Director for Collection Development & Adjunct Professor
- M.L.S., 2001, summa cum laude, Syracuse University.
- J.D. 1999, Regent University School of Law; Regent Law Review, Editorial Staff.
- Dual B.S. 1993, summa cum laude, Mount Olive College.
- Assistant Director for Collection Development, Regent Law Library, 2007-present; Assistant Research Services Librarian, 1999-2007.
- Adjunct Professor, Regent University School of Law.
- Admitted: North Carolina.
Legal Research & Writing
|Advanced Legal Research & Writing|
|American Bar Association||North Carolina Bar Association|
American Association of Law Libraries
- Bylaws Committee, Chair (2009-2010), Vice Chair (2008-2009), & Member (2007-2008)
- Council of Chapter Presidents (2004-2006)
- Council of Newsletter Editors (2002-2004)
- Education Summit Attendee (2006)
Virginia Association of Law Libraries
- Immediate Past President (2006-2007)
- Bylaws Committee, Chair (2006-2007)
- President (2005-2006)
- Vice-President/President-Elect (2004-2005)
- Program Committee, Chair (2004-2005); Member (2001-2002)
- VALL Newsletter, Co-editor & Ex Officio Member of Executive Board (2002-2004)
- VALL Chapter Leadership Handbook, Editor (2003-2004)
- Public Relations Committee, Chair (2002-2003); Member (2003-2004)
- Legal Information Outreach, Member (2000-2001)
- Recruitment Committee, Member (1999-2000)
Southeastern Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries
- Scholarship Committee, Member (2007-2009)
- Education & Publications Committee, Chair (2005-2006); Member (2004-2005)
- Newsletter & Public Relations Committee, Member (2002-2003)
Research Instruction and Patron Services Special Interest Section
- Program Committee, Member (2006-2007)
Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section
- Library Support for Law Journals Taskforce, Member (2005-2006)
Virginia Library Association
- This Land's Not My Land? Eminent Domain Research in Virginia, VA. Lawyer (Oct. 2010).
- Deconstructing Construction Law Resources, VA. Lawyer (Oct. 2008).
- Virginia Association of Law Libraries Annual Report, 98 Law Library Journal 796 (Fall 2005).
- Something for Nothing? Free Virginia Case law on the Web, 51 VA. Lawyer 25 (Dec. 2002).
- A New Twist for an Olde Code: Examining Virginia’s New Rules of Professional Conduct, 14 Regent L. Rev. (2000) (co-authored with Charles H. Oates).
- Opportuning Virtue: The Binding Ties of Covenant Marriage Examined, 12 Regent L. Rev. 73 (1999).
- President’s Message, Vol. 21, No. 3, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Winter 2006).
- President’s Message, Vol. 21, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Spring 2006).
- President’s Message, Vol. 21, No. 1, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Summer 2005).
- President’s Message, Vol. 21, No. 2, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Fall 2005).
- All content in Vol. 11, No. 1, Testimony (Fall 2005) including Legal Information at Your Fingertips; Featured Database: HeinOnline;and Help! The Law Library Doesn't Own the Book I Need.
- All content in Vol. 10, No. 2, Testimony (Spring 2005) including Law Library Launches New Website; Services to Students; Services to Faculty; and Easy Access to Library Information.
- A New Era for the VALL Newsletter, Vol. 19, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 4 (Spring 2004).
- VALL Members Make Good Showing in Kentucky, Vol. 19, No. 1, VALL Newsletter, at 17 (Summer 2003).
- What Do Downhill Skiers and Smurfs Have to Do with the 2002 VALL Winter Meeting? Vol. 17, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 4 (Spring 2002).
- Tips for Summer Associates, Vol. 7, No. 2, Testimony, at 2, (Spring 2002).
- Expanding Your Electronic Research Repertoire, Vol. 7, No. 2, Testimony, at 1 (Spring 2002).
- Soft Spaces, Vol. 7, No. 1, Testimony, at 1 (Fall 2000).
- The End of OPAC as We Know It,Vol. 6, No. 1, Testimony, at 3 (Fall 1999).
- Testimony (Official Newsletter of Regent University Law Library), Editor (1999-Present)
- Regent University Law Faculty Newsletter, Editor (2005-Present)
- VALL Newsletter, Co-editor (2002-2004)
- VALL Chapter Leadership Handbook, Editor (2003-2004)
- Regent University Law Review, Editorial Staff (1998-99)
Selected Lectures & Presentations
- The Research Process, presented in all sections of LAW 553: Legal Research & Writing, Regent University School of Law, each Fall Semester.
- Moderator, VALL Educational Program and Quarterly Business Meetings, May 13, 2005, July 19, 2005, November 4-5, 2005, February 10, 2006.
- Guest Lecturer on topics including: Legal Citation Reform, Customer Service Issues; and Governing Bodies of Law Libraries, LAW 626: Law Librarianship, Regent University School of Law, Spring 2003 & 2004.
- Introduction to Labor Arbitration Research, presented in LAW 706: Labor Law, March 25, 2003.
- Alternative Legal Careers Conversations, William & Mary School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia, March 14, 2003.
- Legal Research 101, presented in JRN 603: Mass Media Law & Ethics, Regent University School of Communications, January 27, 2003.
- Helping Pro Se Customers Help Themselves: Legal Reference Made Easier, Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, October 17, 2002 (co-presented with Jill Burr).
- Perspectives on Legal Education (faculty panel discussion with Mike Schutt and Mike Hernandez), Regent University School of Law, March 24, 2000.
- Profiled in Leadership Role was in the Books for Regent’s Law Librarian, Virginian-Pilot Beacon, July 1, 2004, at B1.
- Profiled in Regent Alum Takes Helm of Virginia Association of Law Libraries, Regent News, May 25, 2004.
- Profiled in Hamm Becomes President of State Library Association, Regent News, June 21, 2005.