Marie Summerlin Hamm
Assistant Director for Collection Development & Adjunct Professor
- M.L.S., 2001, summa cum laude, Syracuse University
- JD 1999, Regent University School of Law; Regent Law Review, Editorial Staff
- Dual B.S. 1993, summa cum laude, Mount Olive College
- Assistant Director for Collection Development, Regent Law Library, 2007-present; Assistant Research Services Librarian, 1999-2007
- Adjunct Professor, Regent University School of Law
- Admitted: North Carolina
Marie Summerlin Hamm has taught both first-year and advanced legal research and writing courses at Regent University School of Law, where she serves as Law Library Assistant Director for Collection Development & Adjunct Professor. She also co-teaches the law librarianship course. She is an active member of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), the Southeastern Association of Law Libraries (SEAALL) and is a past president of the Virginia Association of Law Libraries (VALL). She has written substantive articles on family law and legal ethics and has contributed numerous articles on legal research to the Virginia Lawyer. She and her husband David, also a Regent Law grad, live with their two boys on the Outer Banks.
- First Judicial District Bar Association (NC)
- James Kent American Inns of Court
American Association of Law Libraries
- Bylaws Committee, Chair (2009-2010), Vice Chair (2008-2009), & Member (2007-2008)
- Council of Chapter Presidents (2004-2006)
- Council of Newsletter Editors (2002-2004)
- Education Summit Attendee (2006)
Virginia Association of Law Libraries
- Publications Committee, Member (2015-2016)
- Bylaws Committee, Member (2013-2014)
- Nominating Committee, Member (2008)
- Grants Committee, Member (2007)
- Immediate Past President (2006-2007)
- Bylaws Committee, Chair (2006-2007)
- President (2005-2006)
- Vice-President/President-Elect (2004-2005)
- Program Committee, Chair (2004-2005); Member (2001-2002)
- VALL Newsletter, Co-editor & Ex Officio Member of Executive Board (2002-2004)
- VALL Chapter Leadership Handbook, Editor (2003-2004)
- Public Relations Committee, Chair (2002-2003); Member (2003-2004)
- Legal Information Outreach, Member (2000-2001)
- Recruitment Committee, Member (1999-2000)
Southeastern Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries
- Newsletter Committee, Member (2015-2017)
- Placement Committee, Member (2013-2015)
- Nominating Committee, Member (2011-2012)
- Scholarship Committee, Member (2007-2009)
- Education & Publications Committee, Chair (2005-2006); Member (2004-2005)
- Newsletter & Public Relations Committee, Member (2002-2003)
Research Instruction and Patron Services Special Interest Section
- Program Committee, Member (2006-2007)
Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section
- Library Support for Law Journals Taskforce, Member (2005-2006)
- Renovating Your Virginia Construction Law Library, 64 VA. LAWYER 41 (Dec. 2015), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2725993
- CALI Lesson, Virginia Legal Research: Secondary Sources 2(2015) available at http://www.cali.org/user/17146.
- Seasoning the Primordial Soup: Hot Topics and Titles in Construction Law, VA. LAWYER (Dec. 2014), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2650712.
- Increasing Your "App"titude: Legal Research Apps for Virginia Practitioners, VA. LAWYER (Dec. 2013), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2650785.
- Bricks and Blogs: Using Social Media to Build Your Knowledge of Virginia Construction Law, VA. LAWYER (Feb. 2012), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2000933.
- This Land's Not My Land? Eminent Domain Research in Virginia, VA. LAWYER (Oct. 2010), http://ssrn.com/abstract=1939877.
- Deconstructing Construction Law Resources, VA. Lawyer (Oct. 2008), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2650806.
- Virginia Association of Law Libraries Annual Report, 98 Law Library Journal 796 (Fall 2005).
- Something for Nothing? Free Virginia Caselaw on the Web, VA. LAWYER (Dec. 2002), http://www.vsb.org/docs/valawyermagazine/dec02hamm.pdf.
- A New Twist for an Olde Code: Examining Virginia's New Rules of Professional Conduct, 14 Regent L. Rev. (2000) (co-authored with Charles H. Oates) at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1938617.
- Opportuning Virtue: The Binding Ties of Covenant Marriage Examined, 12 Regent L. Rev. 73 (1999) at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2496573.
- Recent Acquisitions: These Are a Few of My Favorite Things, Vol. 40, NO. 4, SEAALL NEWSLETTER at 8 (Fall 2015).
- Reader's Advisory, Vol. 40, NO. 3, SEAALL NEWSLETTER at 8 (Summer 2015) (reviewing James S. Heller, Paul Hellyer, Benjamin J. Keele, The Librarian's Copyright Companion (2012)).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 3, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Winter 2006).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Spring 2006).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 1, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Summer 2005).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 2, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Fall 2005).
- All content in Vol. 11, No. 1, Testimony (Fall 2005) including Legal Information at Your Fingertips; Featured Database: HeinOnline; and Help! The Law Library Doesn't Own the Book I Need.
- All content in Vol. 10, No. 2, Testimony (Spring 2005) including Law Library Launches New Website; Services to Students; Services to Faculty; and Easy Access to Library Information.
- A New Era for the VALL Newsletter, Vol. 19, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 4 (Spring 2004).
- VALL Members Make Good Showing in Kentucky, Vol. 19, No. 1, VALL Newsletter, at 17 (Summer 2003).
- What Do Downhill Skiers and Smurfs Have to Do with the 2002 VALL Winter Meeting? Vol. 17, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 4 (Spring 2002).
- Tips for Summer Associates, Vol. 7, No. 2, Testimony, at 2 (Spring 2002).
- Expanding Your Electronic Research Repertoire, Vol. 7, No. 2, Testimony, at 1 (Spring 2002).
- Soft Spaces, Vol. 7, No. 1, Testimony, at 1 (Fall 2000).
- The End of OPAC as We Know It,Vol. 6, No. 1, Testimony, at 3 (Fall 1999).
- Testimony (Official Newsletter of Regent University Law Library), Editor (1999-2010)
- Regent University Law Faculty Newsletter, Editor (2005-Present)
- VALL Newsletter, Co-editor (2002-2004)
- VALL Chapter Leadership Handbook, Editor (2003-2004)
- Regent University Law Review, Editorial Staff (1998-99)
Selected Lectures & Presentations
- Instructor, Legal Writing & Research, Regent University Paralegal Certificate Program (Spring 2015).
- The Research Process, presented in all sections of LAW 553: Legal Research & Writing, Regent University School of Law, Fall Semester.
- Moderator, VALL Educational Program and Quarterly Business Meetings, May 13, 2005, July 19, 2005, November 4-5, 2005, February 10, 2006.
- Guest Lecturer on topics including: Legal Citation Reform, Customer Service Issues; and Governing Bodies of Law Libraries, LAW 626: Law Librarianship, Regent University School of Law, Spring 2003 & 2004.
- Introduction to Labor Arbitration Research, presented in LAW 706: Labor Law, March 25, 2003.
- Alternative Legal Careers Conversations, William & Mary School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia, March 14, 2003.
- Legal Research 101, presented in JRN 603: Mass Media Law & Ethics, Regent University School of Communications, January 27, 2003.
- Helping Pro Se Customers Help Themselves: Legal Reference Made Easier, Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, October 17, 2002 (co-presented with Jill Burr).
- Perspectives on Legal Education (faculty panel discussion with Mike Schutt and Michael Hernandez), Regent University School of Law, March 24, 2000.
- Profiled in Leadership Role was in the Books for Regent's Law Librarian, Virginian-Pilot Beacon, July 1, 2004, at B1.
- Profiled in Regent Alum Takes Helm of Virginia Association of Law Libraries, Regent News, May 25, 2004.
- Profiled in Hamm Becomes President of State Library Association, Regent News, June 21, 2005.