Statement of Faith and Distinctives
Statement of Faith
Regent University is a Christ-centered institution. The board of trustees, along with the faculty and staff of the university, are committed to an evangelical interpretation and application of the Christian faith. The campus community is closely identified with the present-day renewal movement, which emphasizes the gifts, fruit and ministries of the Holy Spirit. It is expected that all trustees, officers, administrators and faculty will subscribe to this statement in writing:
- The Holy Bible is the inspired, infallible and authoritative source of Christian doctrine and precept;
- There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Ghost;
- Man was created in the image of God, but, as a result of sin, is lost and powerless to save himself;
- The only hope for man is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, the virgin-born son of God, who died to take upon Himself the punishment for the sin of mankind, and who rose from the dead, so that by receiving Him as Savior and Lord, man is redeemed by His blood;
- Jesus Christ will personally return to Earth in power and glory;
- The Holy Spirit indwells those who receive Christ, for the purpose of enabling them to live righteous and holy lives;
- The Church is the body of Christ and is comprised of all those who through belief in Christ have been spiritually regenerated by the indwelling Holy Spirit. The mission of the Church is worldwide evangelization and the nurture and discipling of Christians. (Board of Trustees, Resolution #3, September 25, 1977).
The School of Divinity is committed to providing Biblical and theological education and training from a renewal perspective for the spiritual equipping of men and women who will contribute to the renewal of the Church and the evangelization of the world. The school is committed to the following core values:
- Spiritual formation within the context of life-long learning which recognizes the on-going development of Christ-like character as the primary building block for Christian life and service.
- Leadership development from a renewal perspective which embraces the contemporary expression of the Holy Spirit.
- Excellence in Biblical, theological and academic education which is grounded on the authority of the Bible as the inspired Word of God, and which reflects cutting edge scholarship.
- Practical training and experience which promote healthy habits of the heart, mind and spirit, and which equip graduate professionals for fruitful ministry in the church, community and the world.
- Advancement of world evangelization and discipleship, which are primary Biblical mandates.
Ken Gosnell, M.Div. '06
Senior Director of National Programming, National Fatherhood Initiative
"The professors were sincere about the investment they were making in the students, and I really appreciated it as I was developing my worldview. I learned to think broader, deeper, more strategically than I ever had before."
Read more >