Master of Arts in Journalism
Below are the admission requirements for your degree program. Your application to the graduate School of Communication & the Arts will be complete when you have submitted all of the following items:
- Admission application - Apply Now
- $50 nonrefundable fee to activate application
- Official transcripts that represent all college credits you have ever received (even if credits were transferred into another institution)
- Personal goals statement
- Faculty recommendation
- General recommendation
- Current résumé
- Official test results (within the last five years) from the GRE or MAT sent directly to Enrollment Support Services (ESS)
- Interview with admissions counselor in person or by phone
- Two to five samples of your journalistic writing, if available
- A discipline-specific original essay (see details below)
Your original essay, feature column or blog should be at least 700 words (Times New Roman, 12-point font, double spaced in Word), as if it were for publication to a general public readership. Be sure to justify your response with sound reasoning and references (MLA or APA stylebook preferred). Be careful to refer to all sources and site references. Submit electronically to an admissions counselor at email@example.com.
Select one of the two topics below:
- Are American young people better informed today about important news events that affect their lives than were their peers of the late 1960s? Explain.
- The public often blames the news media for acting as sources of distortion or exploitation about troubling events and issues worldwide. In what specific ways might skilled journalist-storytellers make valuable contributions to help resolve human suffering globally and in our own communities? Cite specific examples.
All applicants, regardless of desired program, must possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or an equivalent degree from a foreign university. Official transcripts from previously attended colleges and universities and official GRE or MAT test scores must be sent directly to the university's Enrollment Support Services (ESS) Office. The address is:
Enrollment Support Services
1000 Regent University Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
All other admissions materials should be emailed to the School of Communication & the Arts Admissions Office. Address emails to “Admissions Committee” at firstname.lastname@example.org.