Skip navigation
A girl studying on her laptop.

Financial Aid Options

Investing in Your Calling. Earning your degree is an essential step to fulfilling your calling. A high-quality Christian education from Regent is affordable and a wise investment. As you consider the cost of higher education, there are many financial aid options including loans that must be repaid and gift aid in the form of grants or scholarships. Consider these different types of financial aid for college carefully as they could affect your future financial stability.

How Does Federal Financial Aid Work?

The U.S. Department of Education awards about $120 billion a year in financial aid through grants, student loans and other programs.* Some federal aid is gift aid, or grants, that do not need to be paid back; while other aid consists of student loans that must be repaid.

Am I Eligible for Federal Aid?

To be considered for federal aid, including the Pell Grant, you must complete the FAFSA. Learn more about this process on our How to Apply page.

Types of Federal Financial Aid

Pell Grant (Undergraduate Students Only)
The Federal Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students who have not previously earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. The size of the award is based on the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and his/her enrollment status. Undergraduate students who are enrolled full-time (12 or more hours per semester) can expect to receive 100 percent of their total Pell award. Students enrolled less than full-time will receive a prorated award based on their enrollment status. Learn more

The TEACH Grant Program awards grants to students who intend to teach. In turn, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a school serving low-income students for at least four academic years within eight years of completing the program of study for which you received the grant. If you do not complete your service as a teacher, the grant will convert to a loanLearn more

Stafford Loans
The Federal Stafford Loan Program provides loans at a low cost to students. There are two Stafford Loans that students are eligible for: Stafford Subsidized Loan and Stafford Unsubsidized Loan. Both loans provide access to funds that students may not otherwise have. Learn more

PLUS Loans

Graduate PLUS Loan
The Federal Graduate PLUS Program is a low-interest loan for graduate students enrolled in school at least half-time (minimum of five credit hours per semester). Graduate students must be U.S. citizens or registered permanent residents to apply for the PLUS. Eligibility for the PLUS is not based on demonstrated financial need. Learn more

Parent PLUS Loan
The Federal Parent PLUS Program is a low-interest loan for parents of dependent, undergraduate students enrolled in school at least half-time (minimum of six credit hours per semester). Parents must be U.S. citizens or registered permanent residents to apply for the PLUS. Eligibility for the PLUS is not based on demonstrated financial need. Learn more

Important Loan Information
It is common for loan programs to require the submission of a promissory note. For detailed information and directions on completing this process, please review our resource on Master Promissory Notes.

Loan disclosure statement

How Does State Financial Aid Work?

State aid is funded by your state of residence. Regent accepts all state aid, but options for out-of-state students can be limited. Typically, states provide aid to encourage residents to pursue education within their home state, but some out-of-state aid is available.

Financial Aid for Out-of-State Students

Find contacts for your state to learn about financial aid for out-of-state students.

Virginia Financial Aid Options

Virginia provides several grant and loan programs for residents. Each program has varying eligibility requirements.

Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG)
The Commonwealth of Virginia has provided a grant that offers residents of Virginia tuition assistance for college. It is available to all Virginia residents who attend private institutions in the Commonwealth and provide sufficient information on their intent to remain in Virginia after the completion of their degree. Learn more

Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program (VTSLP)
VTSLP’s primary purpose is to provide financial support to eligible students who are preparing to teach in one of Virginia’s critical shortage fields. Learn more

Virginia Community College Transfer Grant
The Commonwealth of Virginia has provided a grant that is available to graduates of Virginia Community Colleges. Learn more

Learn more about Virginia’s in-state aid at

Regent understands that financing a degree is an important consideration. We offer a number of Regent University scholarships to graduate, professional or doctoral students through the generosity of university donors. Competition for these awards is highly selective. The number of awards is limited and varies each year. Current and accepted incoming Regent University students who meet the qualifications of the scholarship may apply for a donor funded scholarship.

School-based Scholarships

In addition to the donor funded scholarships, you are encouraged to apply for degree-specific scholarships for Regent University students. These scholarship funds come directly from your school of enrollment. The links below provide more information about awards available through your school.

Note: Regent University reserves the right to change or alter any scholarship requirements, deadlines or award amounts.

Multiple federally funded programs exist to assist military personnel and their families with the cost of higher education.  Programs include Tuition Assistance (TA), the G.I. Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation, and more. Visit our Military Admissions & Aid page for a comprehensive list of unique military benefits and resources.

Private aid is aid funded by an external organization. This aid can be in the form of scholarships, loans or grants to help pay for college.

Private Grants & Scholarships

Grants and scholarships are typically considered as gift aid that you will not be required to repay. Many grants and scholarships can be combined, so you should seek out and apply for as many as you can. There are thousands of options available, but some will have very specific eligibility criteria.

Regent also offers school-specific scholarships as well as endowed scholarship opportunities for Regent University students. Learn more about these under the Institutional Aid tab on this page.

Private Loans

Private loans are based on your credit history and must be repaid. Students are encouraged to avoid taking out private loans if possible because these loans usually have higher interest rates and are not eligible for federal repayment plan options. Students should also carefully consider the interest rates, loan fees and terms of the program before making a selection.

Most institutions have an online application followed by a credit check. Once the school is notified, the school will certify the loan amount. The student most likely will then be required to complete either an online or paper promissory note. Private loans may be used in place of PLUS loans.

Bar Study Loans

Law students who are graduating are eligible to apply for a Bar Exam Loan to help with costs during preparation for your state’s bar exam. Learn more >