Visit Us  |  Contact Us  |  Apply Now
Share | Regent on Facebook Regent on Twitter

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

Technology Recommendations

In the School of Communication & the Arts, technology tools are important for effectively accomplishing class projects. The following are the hardware and software recommended for your program:

M.A. programs
MFA program Cinema-Television

1. Am I required to buy a computer or software for editing?

No. However several CTV courses require students to shoot and edit their own class projects. Regent University strongly recommends that CTV students purchase their own system for editing class projects.

2. Does Regent University provide computers or software for editing?

No. For general coursework, there are several computer labs on campus, but there are no general editing labs. Regent University recommends that you purchase your own system for editing class projects.

3. Can I use the computer I already own?

Maybe. However if your system is more than three years old, or does not meet minimum system requirements, you should consider a new computer system. An older computer might run new editing software, but performance will be slow and possibly unstable.

4. Can I use the editing system I already own?

Maybe. You must be able to input, edit and output the DV format. You must also be able to create titles and layer several tracks of audio (dialogue, sound effects and music).

5. Do I need to buy a DV camera or VTR?

No. Regent University's CTV Equipment Office stocks DVCAM cameras and VTRs for currently enrolled CTV student use. Students enrolled in the MFA, however, will be required to purchase their own equipment.

6. Why should I buy a new system?

Buying a new system gets you a warranty from the manufacturer. Manufacturer warranties are usually one year, and for an additional cost, can be up to three years. A newer system is faster and more stable, which can make you more productive with less waiting and frustration.

7. What is Regent's recommended desktop and laptop configurations?

Regent's IT Department recommends the following desktop and laptop computer configurations.

8. PC (Windows XP) or Mac (OS X)?

Regent University is a PC/Windows environment, but is open to the Mac/Apple platform. Avid Media Composer works on both PCs and Macs. "Final Cut" software only runs on Apple computer systems. "Adobe" software runs on both PCs and Macs.

9. Laptop or desktop computer?

Laptops allow you to easily work anywhere. Desktops cost less and are easier to upgrade.

10. What editing software do I need?

Depending on your editing needs, there are several good choices. Refer to #8 above.

11. Do I need a DVD burner for my computer?

Regent recommends that you have a DVD burner for completing assignments and for data backups, but it's not required. DVD burners can also burn data CDs and audio CDs.

12. Do I need an external hard drive?

Most editing programs strongly recommend an external hard drive. The most popular "editing" drives use a FireWire (IEEE-1394) connection, but a few use USB 2.0. Some drives have both. Check your editing software for requirements. Stick with major brands like LaCie, Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital, with at least 120GB.

13. Does Regent University provide support for my computer and/or software?

No. Computer or editing software problems should be handled by the manufacturer or dealer. Regent University recommends that you buy an extended service agreement with help-desk support if you're not comfortable troubleshooting on your own. Instructors might be willing to help with minor problems.

14. I am an MFA Cinema-Television student. What equipment am I required to purchase?

MFA students in the Cinema-Television department are required to own their own digital video camera and non-linear editing system, Recommended cameras should be a minimum three CCD Mini-DV camcorder. DV Cam and cameras capable of 24P or HD are also acceptable. Any manufacturer is acceptable but connectivity to your NLE and ability to transfer video into your NLE is required. Students should also take note that the camera have the ability to connect an external microphone. Students should also be aware that cameras with XLR inputs for microphones generally achieve higher quality and more reliable audio.

For more information about the MFA, consult the MFA guidelines.

back to top