Marie Summerlin Hamm has taught both first-year and advanced legal research and writing courses at Regent University School of Law, where she serves as Law Library Director. She is an active member of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), the Southeastern Association of Law Libraries (SEAALL) and is a past president of the Virginia Association of Law Libraries (VALL). She has written substantive articles on family law and legal ethics and has contributed numerous articles on legal research to the Virginia Lawyer. She authored the Courts and Case Law chapter in the most recent edition of A Guide to Legal Research in Virginia. Her current scholarship focuses on assessment of legal research and writing competencies under the revised ABA standards. She and her husband David, also a Regent Law grad, live with their two boys on the Outer Banks.
- Law Library Director, 2017-present
- Assistant Director for Collection Development, 2007-2017
- Assistant Research Services Librarian, 1999-2007
- Admitted: North Carolina
- Chapter 4: Courts and Case Law, in A Guide to Legal Research in Virginia (Virginia CLE Publications, 8th ed., 2017).
Law Review & Bar Journal Articles
- The Rubric Meets the Road in Law Schools: Program Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes as a Fundamental Way for Law Schools to Improve and Fulfill Their Respective Missions, 94 Detroit Mercy L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2017).
- Preparing for the Battlefield and Avoiding the War: Recently Released Construction Litigation Resources, 65 Va. Lawyer 51 (Dec. 2016), http://www.vsb.org/docs/valawyermagazine/vl1216-libraries.pdf.
- Renovating Your Virginia Construction Law Library, 64 Va. Lawyer 41 (Dec. 2015), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2725993.
- CALI Lesson, Virginia Legal Research: Secondary Sources (2015) available at http://www.cali.org/user/17146.
- Seasoning the Primordial Soup: Hot Topics and Titles in Construction Law, Va. Lawyer (Dec. 2014), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2650712.
- Increasing Your "App"titude: Legal Research Apps for Virginia Practitioners, Va. Lawyer (Dec. 2013), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2650785.
- Bricks and Blogs: Using Social Media to Build Your Knowledge of Virginia Construction Law, Va. Lawyer (Feb. 2012), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2000933.
- This Land's Not My Land? Eminent Domain Research in Virginia, Va. Lawyer (Oct. 2010), http://ssrn.com/abstract=1939877.
- Deconstructing Construction Law Resources, Va. Lawyer (Oct. 2008), http://ssrn.com/abstract=2650806.
- Virginia Association of Law Libraries Annual Report, 98 Law Library Journal 796 (Fall 2005).
- Something for Nothing? Free Virginia Caselaw on the Web, Va. Lawyer (Dec. 2002), http://www.vsb.org/docs/valawyermagazine/dec02hamm.pdf.
- A New Twist for an Olde Code: Examining Virginia's New Rules of Professional Conduct, 14 Regent L. Rev. (2000) (co-authored with Charles H. Oates) at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1938617.
- Opportuning Virtue: The Binding Ties of Covenant Marriage Examined, 12 Regent L. Rev. 73 (1999) at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2496573.
- Stop Telling and Start Showing, 13Legal Communication & Rhetoric: JALWD 241 (2016) (reviewing Adam Lamparello & Megan E. Boyd, Show Don't Tell: Legal Writing for the Real World (2014), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2881398.
- Keeping Up With New Legal Titles, 108 Law Library Journal 660 (Fall 2016) (reviewing Alexa Z. Chew & Katie Rose Guest Pryal, The Complete Legal Writer (2016), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2906817.
- Reader's Advisory, Vol. 40, No. 3, SEAALL Newsletter at 8 (Summer 2015) (reviewing James S. Heller, Paul Hellyer, Benjamin J. Keele,The Librarian's Copyright Companion(2012)).
- Recent Acquisitions: These Are a Few of My Favorite Things, Vol. 40, NO. 4, SEAALL NEWSLETTER at 8 (Fall 2015).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 3, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Winter 2006).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Spring 2006).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 1, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Summer 2005).
- President's Message, Vol. 21, No. 2, VALL Newsletter, at 1 (Fall 2005).
- A New Era for the VALL Newsletter, Vol. 19, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 4 (Spring 2004).
- VALL Members Make Good Showing in Kentucky, Vol. 19, No. 1, VALL Newsletter, at 17 (Summer 2003).
- What Do Downhill Skiers and Smurfs Have to Do with the 2002 VALL Winter Meeting? Vol. 17, No. 4, VALL Newsletter, at 4 (Spring 2002).
- VALL Newsletter, Co-editor (2002-2004)
- VALL Chapter Leadership Handbook, Editor (2003-2004)
- Regent University Law Review, Editorial Staff (1998-99)
Selected Lectures & Presentations
- Where the Rubric Meets the Road: Assessing Legal Research & Writing Competencies across the Curriculum, SEAALL Annual Meeting Raleigh, NC (March 31, 2017).
- Where the Rubric Meets the Road: Assessing Legal Research & Writing Competencies Across the Curriculum, Legal Writing Institute (LWI) Regional Meeting, Wake Forest School of Law, Winston Salem, NC (Dec. 9, 2016).
- Less is the New More: How Law Libraries Can Thrive in Turbulent Times, Cornell School of Law, Ithaca NY (April 21, 2016).
- Instructor, Legal Writing & Research, Regent University Paralegal Certificate Program (Spring 2015).
- The Research Process, presented in all sections of LAW 553: Legal Research & Writing, Regent University School of Law, Fall Semester.
- Moderator, VALL Educational Program and Quarterly Business Meetings, May 13, 2005, July 19, 2005, November 4-5, 2005, February 10, 2006.
- Guest Lecturer on topics including: Legal Citation Reform, Customer Service Issues; and Governing Bodies of Law Libraries, LAW 626: Law Librarianship, Regent University School of Law, Spring 2003 & 2004.
- Introduction to Labor Arbitration Research, presented in LAW 706: Labor Law, March 25, 2003.
- Alternative Legal Careers Conversations, William & Mary School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia, March 14, 2003.
- Legal Research 101, presented in JRN 603: Mass Media Law & Ethics, Regent University School of Communications, January 27, 2003.
- Helping Pro Se Customers Help Themselves: Legal Reference Made Easier, Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, October 17, 2002 (co-presented with Jill Burr).
- Perspectives on Legal Education (faculty panel discussion with Mike Schutt and Michael Hernandez), Regent University School of Law, March 24, 2000.
- An Oral History of Law Librarianship, interviewed by Patrick E. Kehoe, Feb. 17, 2016, videorecording. Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf, available on HeinOnline.
- Profiled in Leadership Role was in the Books for Regent's Law Librarian, Virginian-Pilot Beacon, July 1, 2004, at B1.
- Profiled in Regent Alum Takes Helm of Virginia Association of Law Libraries, Regent News, May 25, 2004.
- Profiled in Hamm Becomes President of State Library Association, Regent News, June 21, 2005.
- First Judicial District Bar Association (NC)
- James Kent American Inns of Court
American Association of Law Libraries
- Bylaws Committee, Chair (2009-2010), Vice Chair (2008-2009), & Member (2007-2008)
- Council of Chapter Presidents (2004-2006)
- Council of Newsletter Editors (2002-2004)
- Education Summit Attendee (2006)
Virginia Association of Law Libraries
- Publications Committee, Member (2015-2016)
- Bylaws Committee, Member (2013-2014)
- Nominating Committee, Member (2008)
- Grants Committee, Member (2007)
- Immediate Past President (2006-2007)
- Bylaws Committee, Chair (2006-2007)
- President (2005-2006)
- Vice-President/President-Elect (2004-2005)
- Program Committee, Chair (2004-2005); Member (2001-2002)
- VALL Newsletter, Co-editor & Ex Officio Member of Executive Board (2002-2004)
- VALL Chapter Leadership Handbook, Editor (2003-2004)
- Public Relations Committee, Chair (2002-2003); Member (2003-2004)
- Legal Information Outreach, Member (2000-2001)
- Recruitment Committee, Member (1999-2000)
Southeastern Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries
- Newsletter Committee, Member (2015-2017)
- Placement Committee, Member (2013-2015)
- Nominating Committee, Member (2011-2012)
- Scholarship Committee, Member (2007-2009)
- Education & Publications Committee, Chair (2005-2006); Member (2004-2005)
- Newsletter & Public Relations Committee, Member (2002-2003)
Research Instruction and Patron Services Special Interest Section
- Program Committee, Member (2006-2007)
Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section
- Library Marketing & Outreach, Member (2017-2019)
- Collection Development Committee, Member (2007-2008)
- Library Support for Law Journals Taskforce, Member (2005-2006)