Regent University recognizes that important learning takes place outside of college classrooms. The College of Arts & Sciences offers college credit for demonstrable college level learning—either knowledge or skills—acquired through such sources as the following:
- Training programs, seminars, workshops, non-credit courses or in-service courses
- Military service
- Licenses, certificates and awards for special competencies
- Community activities
Prior learning must meet all of the following criteria:
- Credit awarded must be for identified college-level learning, and not solely experience.
- Prior Learning Assessment is open to current degree-seeking students of Regent who have earned 12 or more credits.
- The student must demonstrate that they have reflected upon the nature of the experiential learning and on ways to present a convincing claim that this knowledge is worthy of college credit for the acquisition of specific learned concepts and skills.
- All learning must be college-level and meet the academic standards of Regent University.
- Completion of stated learning must be verifiable through a third party via certificate, transcript, letter or some other form of official documentation.
- Prior learning must be assessed by credentialed faculty members.
- Credit earned through an assessment of prior learning cannot be duplicated through any other mechanism for earning credit.
- A Prior Learning Assessment may result in an award of “no credit,” with an explanation of denial provided according to our established appeal process.
- Fees paid by the student for Prior Learning Assessment are non-refundable and shall reflect the specific service performed and shall not be linked to the amount of credit awarded.
- Prior learning credit is non-transferable.
- A maximum of 15 undergraduate credit hours per student may be awarded for Prior Learning.
- It is the responsibility of the student to complete all procedures required for the awarding of Prior Learning Assessment credit, including the required portfolio, and other elements of the PLA review.
- Submit PLA Application.
Portfolio Development and Submission
Who should I contact?
For more information, please contact:
Regent University Advising
Regent University College of Arts & Sciences
1000 Regent University Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464