Regent University recognizes that important learning takes place outside of college classrooms. The College of Arts & Sciences offers college credit for demonstrable college level learning—either knowledge or skills—acquired through such sources as the following:
- Training programs, seminars, workshops, non-credit courses or in-service courses
- Military service
- Licenses, certificates and awards for special competencies
- Community activities
Prior learning must meet all of the following criteria:
- Credit awarded must be for identified college-level learning, and not solely experience.
- Prior Learning Assessment is open to current degree-seeking students of Regent who have earned 12 or more credits.
- The student must demonstrate that they have reflected upon the nature of the experiential learning and on ways to present a convincing claim that this knowledge is worthy of college credit for the acquisition of specific learned concepts and skills.
- All learning must be college-level and meet the academic standards of Regent University.
- Completion of stated learning must be verifiable through a third party via certificate, transcript, letter or some other form of official documentation.
- Prior learning must be professionally assessed by PLA evaluation experts and must satisfy criteria for accreditation as designated for prior learning assessment by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
- Credit earned through an assessment of prior learning cannot be duplicated through any other mechanism for earning credit.
- A Prior Learning Assessment may result in an award of “no credit,” with an explanation of denial provided according to our established appeal process.
- Fees paid by the student for Prior Learning Assessment are non-refundable and shall reflect the specific service performed and shall not be linked to the amount of credit awarded.
- Prior learning credit is non-transferable.
- A maximum of 15 undergraduate credit hours per student may be awarded for Prior Learning.
- It is the responsibility of the student to complete all procedures required for the awarding of Prior Learning Assessment credit, including the required portfolio, and other elements of the PLA review.
- Submit PLA Application.
Portfolio Development and Submission
Who should I contact?
For more information, please contact:
Regent University Advising
Regent University College of Arts & Sciences
1000 Regent University Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464