International Student/SEVIS Orientation
The OISS staff is eager to welcome new students from around the world to Regent University! All new and transfer F-1 and J-1 students with I-20s or DS-2019s who will be enrolled in on-campus degree programs are required to attend the International Student/SEVIS Orientation. The comprehensive Fall Orientation is held the week prior to the academic orientations and two weeks prior to the start of classes. A very condensed orientation is held during the first week of classes for the Spring term. Most schools do not offer academic orientations for the Summer and Spring sessions, which makes the academic adjustment rather difficult for international students. With Spring classes starting only 1-2 days after the University re-opens from the holidays, students who arrive in early January from overseas do not have adequate time needed for physical, mental, and emotional adjustment prior to the start of classes. For these reasons, international students who are coming to Regent from overseas are required to enroll in the Fall semester. The only exception to this rule is for students attending Regent under the Handong Exchange agreement (which requires spring enrollment), and students who will be transferring to Regent from other U.S. institutions. On-campus students who begin degree programs in the Summer must attend the Fall International Student Orientation in August and should plan accordingly. F-1 and J-1 students should not book their flights to the U.S. until they have received their student visas and have confirmed the dates of the International Student Orientation for the semester they were admitted to Regent.
Here is some information regarding the Spring 2012 International Student Orientation:
- Designated Arrival Dates (for the Spring, 2012 Semester) for new students arriving from overseas who will be living on campus is: Sunday, January 1, 2012.
- The International Student Orientation will be held on Monday, January 2, 2012 from approximately 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. This is mandatory for all new transfer F-1 and J-1 visa holders.
- There will be a shopping trip offered on Monday, January 2, 2012 for new international students after the orientation.
- Click here for the Newly Admitted International Student Information.
- An International Student Orientation Fee will be posted to each student's account before the semester begins. The current fee is $175.00 with an added charge of $100 per guest. The fee covers the costs of the airport pick-ups, orientation meals, orientation materials, some welcome gifts, and the local tour.
- Click here for the Spring 2012 International Student Orientation schedule.
F-1 international students coming to Regent for residency only will not attend an International Student Orientation but they are required to make an appointment with the OISS within 2 days of their arrival for immigration registration purposes. Do not neglect this registration, as this may result in serious consequences to any future entries to the U.S. or attempts to obtain a U.S. visa. For the immigration registration you will need to bring the following items: Your passport, I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, I-20 (if you have one), local U.S. address and phone number, and emergency contact information.
Call or email the OISS at 757.352.4130 or firstname.lastname@example.org.