Over the course of Spring semester, the university is phasing out Wimba and phasing in Blackboard Collaborate. Collaborate is a true virtual classroom, where you can share PowerPoints, lecture, allow students to ask questions, video conference, take polls, and interact as a class or in small groups. Sessions can be archived for future viewing and review by students.
We recommend using Collaborate for synchronous, virtual classroom sessions, group work, and office hours.
For an overview of the features of Collaborate, start with this Orientation Session (11 min) archived within Collaborate itself. (You may need to download the software in Step 1. Be sure to click Step 2 when the software is finished installing.)
Blackboard also offers an excellent asynchronous course which will teach you everything you need to know to moderate a class session in Collaborate. The course will take several hours to complete, but can be finished at your own pace. You will need to register via Blackboard's Learning Center.
- Visit Blackboard's On Demand Learning Center.
- Click “Sign Up Now”
- Next to “Blackboard Collaborate: Getting Started” click on “Add to Cart”
- The course will appear on the left under “My Courses.” The $0.00 shows this course is offered for free.
- Click the “Checkout” button.
- Most likely you will need to create a new account (your Regent account will not work). Go ahead and do so where it says “Click Here to create a new account.”
- Complete the account registration.
- Click “yes” to agree to legal terms and hit “submit.”
- You will receive an email confirmation.
- Go to https://training.blackboard.com and sign in (with your new username and password) to access the course.
Moderator Tools Tutorials and Reference Guides
- Getting Started for Moderators (PDF)
- Introduction to the Participants Panel (PDF)
- Using the Audio & Video Panel (PDF)
- Using Chat (PDF)
- Audio Setup Wizard (PDF)
- Loading a PowerPoint File (PDF)
- Using the Whiteboard (PDF | recording)
- Using the Polling Feature Wizard (PDF)
- Using Application Sharing (PDF | recording)
- Using Web Tour (PDF | recording)
- Using Telephony (PDF)
- Getting Started with Recordings (PDF)
- Moderator’s Guide (online or PDF)
- Top Ten Habits of Highly Effective Moderators (PDF)
- Putting it All Together Workbook (PDF)
- Beyond the Basics Manual (PDF)