Steps to add the English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement to a current Virginia license

Teaching English as a Second Language (M.Ed.) or CGS program completers.

  1. Contact your employing Virginia school division to determine their process for initiating an upgrade to your license. Every school division functions a little different in their procedure.
  2. Submit official Regent University transcript (with degree or certificate posted) to your employing school division. If you have already submitted a graduation application, then the registrar’s office will automatically mail one (1) complimentary transcript upon degree conferral. The transcripts will be mailed to the address on your graduation application. You can use one of these to submit to your school division for this upgrade. If by chance you need additional transcripts, you may request an official transcript from the following website: Please confirm that your degree has been cleared before requesting a transcript. It may not be usable if you request this too early. The best scenario is to wait for your package that comes from the registrar’s office upon degree conferral. If you have not already submitted the graduation application, please submit using the following website:

    Note: Individuals pursuing the Regent University TESOL Certificate of Graduate Studies (CGS) may submit the certificate application, also found at the following website: Certificate students WILL have to request a transcript as the 1 complimentary transcript only apply to those obtaining the M. Ed.

  3. Submit official transcript(s) reflecting a minimum of 6 college credit hours of a foreign language as required for this endorsement (if not included on the transcript in which the Bachelor’s degree is posted).
  4. Submit the appropriate fee to your employing school division to: a) have the endorsement added to your license, and b) to upgrade the degree level on the license from a Collegiate Professional (bachelor’s) to a Postgraduate Professional (master’s, specialist, doctoral). A money order or check should be made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia. The fee is $25 for each process, so a total of $50 if you are adding the endorsement AND advancing the degree level. You may verify the appropriate fee for your process with your school division.
  5. Submit the College Verification Form in which you (the student) complete Part I, and Parts II and III will be completed by the institution’s Certification/Licensure Official (Kenyetta Veal). The verification form can be accessed from within the following application: You can mail or fax the form with your portion, (Part I) completed to the attention of:

Kenyetta L. Veal
School of Education at Regent University
1000 Regent University Drive – ADM 266
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
FAX: 757-352-4147

The College Verification Form will be returned to your attention. Once you receive the completed form, submit it to your employing school division. Some school divisions may automatically send the College Verification Form directly to the institution’s Certification/Licensure Official (Kenyetta Veal) attention after you’ve began the upgrading process with them. In this case, it will be completed and returned to their attention.

NOTE: If you are a student in the program with an out-of-state license, please contact your employing school division in that state to verify their state’s procedures. Most states have an institutional verification form similar to Virginia’s College Verification Form. You may have this form sent to the attention of Kenyetta Veal and it will be completed for you once you have successfully completed the program and your degree has been certified.

Should you have any further questions about this process, please contact the designated certification/licensure official, Kenyetta L. Veal at, 757-352-4873 or 888-713-1595.