Regent University Top 25 Best Online Grad Programs

TEAC Accreditation

Quality Matters Logo

Career Switcher Program

Beth Lambert, Regent Career Switcher
Beth Lambert
Earth Science Teacher
Career Switcher, 2010

Most Inspirational First
Year Teacher

Read Beth's Story>>

Online Program Overview

The Career Switcher Alternative Route to Licensure program is designed to enable individuals from various occupational and life experiences to become middle school and high school classroom teachers. Our Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) approved Career Switcher Program provides initial licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia in addition to 24 graduate level credits that can be counted toward the completion of a Master's Degree in Education.

Career Switcher Program Highlights

Curriculum: View Course Sequence & Descriptions
Endorsement Areas: View available endorsement areas.
Length: 24 graduate-level credits. Complete coursework (Level I) and first year of teaching (Level II) in as little as 16 months.
Level I Format — All courses may be taken entirely online. Some courses may also be available in a hybrid format on our campus in Virginia Beach. All students will participate in 25 hours of practicum experience in a Virginia classroom. Additionally, at least one in-person seminar will be held on campus each semester as required by the VDOE (full details will be provided by the program advisor).
Level II Format— Level II is one year in a full-time, paid teaching position at a public or accredited non-public school. Additional online coursework and mentorship take place during this time.
Results: Highly Qualified - Recommended to the Virginia Department of Education for the Career Switcher Provisional License & 5-year renewable Virginia License.
Important Links: Apply Now | Tuition & Financial Aid | Faculty |Course Schedule | Resources
Features: A one-year, full-time, paid teaching position to be obtained by the student once they have received their Career Switcher Provisional License and mentor support for students in their first year of teaching.

New Students Receive iPad Mini. Learn more >>

Discounted Tuition

Career Switcher Program Video
Hear from Program Chair
Dr. Mervyn Wighting

A discounted tuition rate of $4,230 plus additional fees (subject to change without notice) for Level I of the program, and a discounted tuition rate of $2,410 plus additional fees (subject to change without notice) for Level II of the program. (Tuition rate listed is valid through Summer 2013 semester.) Note: Students are billed separately for Levels I and II.

Gainful Employment

Information for Compliance with the Implementation of Regulatory Requirements Related to Gainful Employment Programs

This data represents non-degree seeking students only, who comprise less than 5% of the program's enrollment. The other 95% are degree seeking students, the majority of which are consistently hired to teach in a public or independent school. Click here to learn more.

Master's Option

Regent's Career Switcher Program provides over half of the credits needed to obtain a M.Ed. — allowing students to earn a M.Ed. by pursuing additional credits. Students may pursue the M.Ed. TESOL (with PreK-12 ESL add-on endorsement), M.Ed. Individualized or M.Ed. Curriculum & Instruction.

Request Information


Regent Alumni Named Rookie of the Year

Career Switcher Program completer, Mark Howerin, was recently selected as Rookie Teacher of the Year by Suffolk Public Schools. Mark is currently teaching math at Turlington Woods School.

Career Switcher Alumnus Honored by School Division

Sam Richards, currently completing his third year of teaching Technology in Norfolk Public Schools, was awarded the School Division’s Inspirational Award for outstanding service to the local community. Prior to joining Regent’s Career Switcher program, Sam was an electronics engineer.


Career Switcher Program completers will be able to:

  • Achieve and demonstrate competence in the academic content areas that they plan to teach.
  • Demonstrate the pedagogical knowledge and skills to become competent to work with a variety of students in accordance with professional standards.
  • Demonstrate responsive, caring, and reflective teaching skills informed by the School of Education’s conceptual framework and the program completer’s personal faith.
  • Transition successfully from a former career to a career in teaching.

Note: The Career Switcher program is not a degree-seeking program. The program alone will lead to licensure.

"If I had taken this Career Switcher program when I first started teaching in an independent school, I would have been saved a lot of struggle and difficulty. This program has helped me to give further structure, guidance, and options for the teaching I do in the classroom, as well as unlearn bad habits that have developed. Hopefully I will be a more effective teacher this upcoming year as a result."

Paul Gyorfi, 2012 Career Switcher