Dale M. Coulter
Associate Professor of Historical Theology
Dale Coulter's Intro Video
- D.Phil., University of Oxford
- M.Div., Reformed Theological Seminary
- B.A., Lee University
- Church History and Renewal 1
- Church History and Renewal 2
- Cur Deus Homo
- Early Christian Spirituality
- Reformation Thought
- Nature and Grace in the Twelfth Century
- Medieval Theology
- Twelfth-Century Renewal
I would welcome working with doctoral students in these and related areas.
- Richard of St. Victor, Abbey of St. Victor
- Notions of Grace, Freedom, and the Moral Life in the 12th century
- Theological developments of the 12th century
- Use of models in Theological Discourse
- Theological models articulating the relationship between Jesus and Salvation
- Tracing out theological continuities and discontinuities between Pentecostalism and other traditions
- Trinity and Creation, co-editor with Boyd Taylor Coolman, Victorine Texts in Translation 1. Turnhout: Brepols, 2010. Paperback edition forthcoming from New City Press, 2011.
- ‘Per visibilia ad invisibilia’: Theological Method in Richard of St. Victor (d. 1173). Bibliotheca Victorina 19. Turnhout: Brepols, 2006.
- Holiness: The Beauty of Perfection. Cleveland, TN: Pathway Press, 2004.
- Victorine Texts in Translation. Eds. Gover A. Zinn, Boyd Taylor Coolman, Dale M. Coulter, Hugh Feiss, Franlin Harkins, Frans Van Liere. Turnhout: Brepols and New York: New City Press, 2010-. Projected 10-volume series of translations.
- Co-editor, PNEUMA: The Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies
Published Chapters and Journal Articles
- “The Cosmopolitan Nature of Pentecostalism,” On the Square: Daily Columns From First Things’ Top Writers (February 24, 2011).
- “Continuing the Critical Tradition of Pentecostalism,” PNUEMA: Journal for the Society of Pentecostal Studies 32.2 (2010): 177-179.
- “Contemplation as ‘Speculation’: A Comparison of Boethius, Hugh of St. Victor, and Richard of St. Victor.” In From Knowledge to Beatitude: St Victor, Twelfth-Century Scholars, and Beyond Essays in honor of Grover A. Zinn, Jr. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, forthcoming.
- “Recovering the Priority of Spiritual Experience: A Review of Elizabeth Dreyer’s Holy Presence, Holy Power,” Journal of Pentecostal Theology 19 (2010): 1-8.
- “Christ, the Spirit, and Vocation: Initial Reflections on a Pentecostal Ecclesiology,” Pro Ecclesia 19.3 (2010): 318-339
- “Pentecostals and Catholics: On Learning to Read the Fathers Together,” Ecumenical Trends 39.1 (Jan. 2010): 1
- “Pentecostals and Monasticism: A Common Spirituality?” Assemblies of God Heritage 30 (2010): 42-49.
- “Historia and Sensus litteralis: An Investigation into the Approach to Literal Interpretation at the Twelfth-Century School of St. Victor.” In Transforming Relations: Essays on Jews and Christians throughout History in honor of Michael A. Signer, ed. Franklin Harkins. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 2010.
- “New Eve: Mother of a Religion,” The Free Lance Star, Fredericksburg, VA, Dec. 20, 2009. Editorial on Mary that went into syndication and was picked up by a number of newspapers, including Providence Journal (Providence, RI) and Green Bay Press-Gazette (Green Bay, WI).
- “Baptism, Conversion, and Grace: Reflections on the ‘Underlying Realities’ Between Pentecostals, Methodists, and Catholics,” PNUEMA: Journal for the Society of Pentecostal Studies 31.2 (2009):189-212.
- “The Working of God’s Power: Toward a Pentecostal Understanding of Martyrdom and its Commemoration.” In A Cloud of Witnesses: Proceedings from Symposium at Bose Monastery, ed. Tamara Grdzelidze. Geneva: World Council of Churches Publications, 2009.
- "Delivered By the Power of God: Toward a Pentecostal Understanding of Salvation," International Journal of Systematic Theology 10.4 (October 2008): 447-467.
- "Are We Kin?: Reflections on the Dialogues Between Catholics, Methodists, and Pentecostals," Ecumenical Trends 37.8 (September 2008): 4-6.
- "The Development of Ecclesiology in the Church of God (Cleveland, TN): A Forgotten Contribution?" PNUEMA: Journal for the Society of Pentecostal Studies 29.1 (2007): 59-85.
- "Pentecostal Visions of the End: Eschatology, Ecclesiology and the Fascination with the ‘Left Behind’ Series," Journal of Pentecostal Theology 14.1 (2005): 81-98.
- "What Meaneth This? Pentecostals and Theological Inquiry," Journal of Pentecostal Theology 10.1 (October 2001): 38-64.
- "Pseudo-Dionysus in the Twelfth-Century Latin West," in Online Medieval Reference Book, 1997
Work in Progress
- Co-editor, Pentecostalism in North America. Global Pentecostalism and Charismatic Studies. Series eds. William Kay and Andrew Davies. Leiden: Brill.
- Monograph on the affections/emotions and the psychology of conversion in Christian tradition.