Important Update to Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits
“Please note the following changes to BAH payments effective August 1, 2011:
- Veterans enrolled at less than full-time will see their housing stipend prorated to match the number of credit hours taken each term. No longer will the 51% rate of pursuit get the same as 100% rate of pursuit.
- Housing allowances will be prorated by the student’s rate of pursuit (rounded to the nearest tenth)
- A student training at a rate of pursuit of 75% would receive 80% of the BAH rate
- Break pay or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike.
- This means that when your semester ends (e.g. December 10th), your housing allowance is paid for the first 10 days of December only and begins again when your next semester begins (e.g. January 3rd) and is paid for the remaining days of January.
Attention Regent Undergraduate Students:
If you are enrolled in 8 week sessions, please note that the VA pays your BAH based off of how many credit hours you are taking that particular month. Although you are considered to be a full-time student at Regent as long as you are taking 12 or more credits in all the sessions combined throughout the Fall semester, the VA does not combine the sessions in their estimation of your rate of pursuit.
- If you are taking 6 credits in Session A and 6 credits in Session B, the VA determines your rate of pursuit as half time, because you are only taking 6 credits each month.
- If you are taking 6 credits in Session A and 6 credits in Session B and 3 credits in the 16 week Fall Session, the VA determines your rate of pursuit as 75% time. More specifically, they will determine that from 8/22/11-10/17/11 you are taking 9 credits altogether, and you will receive an 80% BAH payment.
In order to receive the full BAH payment, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits each month throughout the entire term. This can be achieved by:
- Enrolling in 12 credits of 16-week session courses. This is a total of 12 credits taken for the Fall semester, and a total of 12 credits taken each month of the term.
- Enrolling in 3 credits in Session A, 3 credits in the second Session B, and 9 credits in the 16-week session. This is a total of 15 credits taken for the Fall semester, but only 12 credits taken each month of the term.
- Enrolling in 6 credits in Session A, 6 credits in Session B, and 6 credits in the 16-week session. This is a total of 18 credit hours for the Fall semester, but only 12 credits taken each month of the term.
When the VA determines your rate of pursuit at half time or 75% time, you are only exhausting your months of eligibility at half time or 75% time, respectively.”
If you need help with your V.A. education benefits, you can call toll-free from the U.S. by dialing 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or visit www.gibill.va.gov.
If you have further questions, please contact the Military Benefits Office, Tameka Lyons at (757) 352-4490.
"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.