Frequently Asked Questions

There are a number of visas that permit part-time or full-time study. The list of these types is too numerous to provide here so please contact the International Admissions Coordinator to check if your visa type allows study without changing to F-1 student immigration status.

(For A-1, E-1/2, H-1B, H-1C, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, I, L-1, O-1/2, P-1/2/3, Q-1, R-1, TN visa holders - If you are accepted to Regent you must submit a letter from your visa sponsor which states whether or not you, as the visa holder, will be maintaining your status for the entire duration of the degree program, and which verifies that the full-time study is not your (visa holder's) primary purpose for being in the United States.)

Those holding a PR or RA card need only provide a copy of their current valid card to the Admissions office.

The I-20 document can only be issued by a Regent University "Designated School Official" (DSO) and is used by newly admitted non-U. S. citizens who are outside the United States to apply for a nonimmigrant F-1 student visa at the U.S. consulate/embassy and/or the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry. Citizens of Bermuda and Canada are exempt from the visa requirement, but must still apply for an I-20 to obtain F-1 student immigration status at the Port of Entry. For those non immigrants who are already in the United States, the I-20 is issued for one of three specific purposes: 1) to "transfer" one's F-1 immigration status from one U.S. institution to another, 2) to apply for a "change of status" to the F-1 student immigration status, or 3) to apply for a "reinstatement" to lawful F-1 immigration status. In order to maintain lawful F-1 immigration status, it is important for each student to keep his/her I-20 valid and up-to-date at all times while enrolled in a degree program, among other requirements, listed here.

You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed in section 5 on your I-20, but no sooner than that. In addition, you MUST arrive in the United States on or before the program start date, or you may be denied entry into the United States. If you are unable to arrive at Regent by the program start date that is listed on your I-20 or enroll in the semester for which the I-20 was issued, it is important that you contact the International Admissions Coordinator immediately.

This time will vary greatly and will depend mostly on the applicant, but all applicants are advised to allow at least six to nine months for completion of the entire process from application submission to I-20 issuance. If an applicant is very organized, has met all established deadlines, has followed all instructions, and has thoroughly completed all questions on all the forms, it may take three to four months for an acceptance and admission decision to be made and an I-20 to be issued. On the other hand it is possible to take up to 12 months or longer and to have the admission deferred for a later semester.

From the time of completion of the degree program or the end date on the I-20 document (whichever comes first), the student will have 60 days to either depart the United States, obtain a new I-20 for a different degree program, or submit an application to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services) for a change of status to another immigration status.

Yes, you can under certain circumstances. However, your DSO at your current school must approve the request, and Regent must receive a copy of the written approval prior to your being cleared for enrollment at Regent.

According to U.S. immigration regulations, you may not enroll in a degree program in the B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status. In addition, for those who are coming to the U.S. for study that is over 18 hours per week, or for short-term degree related study (like mandatory residencies for online degree programs), that also cannot be done in the B-1/B-2 visitor status. Please consult with the International Admissions Coordinator about the steps involved with I-20 issuance, at least 4 months in advance, if you need to come to Regent for a mandatory residency that includes a specific educational objective, constitutes at least 18 hours per week of participation, and is required for degree completion.

First-time Residency Participants

Non-immigrant students participating in on-campus residencies for online degree programs are responsible for ensuring they have proper immigration status for their studies at Regent. An I-20 is required for residency students to apply for an F-1 student visa and to obtain the F-1 student immigration status at the U.S. Port of Entry. Not all of Regent's on-campus residencies will qualify for I-20 issuance by the University for the on-campus portions of certain online degrees. Please contact your program advisor for further guidance on whether or not your program qualifies for I-20 issuance. If you are a nonimmigrant student with a B-1/B-2 visitor immigration status, you will not be permitted to enroll in on-campus degree programs, or participate in on-campus residency related workshops, classes, and/or activities that lead toward the attainment of a degree. The required documentation includes the Residency Student I-20 Request Form and the Financial Certification Form.

Returning Residency Students

If you are required to return to campus for a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, then you must submit the required documentation to the Enrollment Support Services at least 4 months in advance of your next residency start date. The required documentation includes the Residency Student Request for a New I-20 and the Financial Certification Form.

All Residency Students

If you are a nonimmigrant student who is in a program that qualifies for I-20 issuance, and you have submitted all required international documentation but not received your I-20 at least 3 months in advance of your residency start-date, then please contact your admissions counselor by phone at 1.800.373.5504 or by email at

There are not many scholarships available for international students. Click here to view information on scholarships.