Goal Setting & Things That Slow Your Reading: Round Two
Review the summary notes and instructions below.
- Download the Daily Exercise Chart > (PDF). This is referred to in the audio as "the last page of your handout."
- Check that your speakers or headphones are connected to your computer and working properly.
- Watch the video example to preview steps you'll be guided through in the audio lesson.
- Listen to the audio lesson. Have your book ready to do the 3-2-1 Speed Drill and the Sweep Method test. The 3-2-1 drill is for mechanics, not comprehension, so really push yourself. The Sweep Method test is for comprehension, so slow down enough to ensure that you are understanding what you read.
- Enter the results from your Sweep Method test on the Daily Progress Chart as in Lesson 2.
audio lesson 4 (18:38)
These things can slow readers down:
Reading one word at a time
Unconscious eye regression
Slow end-of-line eye recovery
Losing your place
The Sweep Method addresses these problems by training the eye to read text in pace with a moving pointer.
A 3-2-1 Speed Drill can improve the mechanics with which your eye covers the page, which can translate into an increased reading rate.
video example (1:14)