Imagery of Regent people and campus

Traveling on University Business

When making travel arrangements for University business, staff and faculty must use the most economical means of travel. For local travel within the Hampton Roads area, including the cities of Chesapeake, Suffolk, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Newport News, and Williamsburg, please use your personal vehicle. Travel will be reimbursed at 50.5 cents per mile. Complete the Expense Report for reimbursement.

If a trip of considerable distance is required, and employee elects to drive instead of fly, the amount up to the equivalent of the airline coach class fare will be reimbursed.


In addition to auto insurance, Regent University has Travel Assistance Insurance available through Hartford Life Insurance Company. This insurance is available in the case of an emergency when traveling on University Business more than 100 miles from your home. This policy also provides accidental death and dismemberment insurance while you are traveling on business for Regent University. This includes travel as a passenger on a regularly scheduled airline and/or Military Air Transport flights. Contact the Human Resources Office at 757.352.4021 for additional information. A wallet card and brochure is available for your records.


Travelers are required to use the most economical means of travel for University business. Currently, for air travel, several online websites offer the best pricing. Those websites are listed below, but you may choose others. You may choose to use a travel agent to make arrangements if your trip involves large groups which requires detailed research. Patty Chaney of Commonwealth Travel, Phone (757) 460-1003,, is a good source. Always remember to advise the booking agent that you are requesting travel for official Regent University business. University finances will benefit by receiving the lowest fares on official travel. Travelers may not purchase first class airline tickets. The person making the reservation should always request the lowest coach fare that is consistent with travel requirements. If you are booking personal travel, personal credit cards MUST be used to purchase tickets.


You may pay for travel tickets by:

  1. MasterCard Type B: This MasterCard has a single transaction limit of $10,000 so large airfare tickets will be covered.
  2. MasterCard Type A: You may use this MasterCard to pay for travel tickets, however, if the ticket purchase exceeds $1500, it will need to be processed by Purchasing. Use a Travel Request to list the purpose of the trip, destination, and amount of the ticket(s), obtain proper signature approvals on the form and forward to the Purchasing Office in ADM 116. The charge for your travel will be processed by the Purchasing Office.
  3. Personal Credit Card You may use your personal credit card to charge travel expenses, and request a reimbursement with an Expense Report after the trip is complete. You cannot be reimbursed for air or rail ticket purchases made with your personal credit card until the trip is completed.


Regent University owns a 11-passenger van which departments and schools can use within the Hampton Roads area at a charge of .485 per mile. Click here to register. Limited availability of the Regent-owned vehicle may require cost centers to seek transportation services off campus.

Regent University has discounted pricing with Enterprise Rent-A-Car (phone: (757) 495-3678). Travelers will need a credit card in order to reserve a rental car. Please be sure Enterprise has the correct billing information before securing your reservation.


When traveling on official University business, automobile INSURANCE FEES SHOULD BE WAIVED as the traveler is covered by Regent's insurance. Should insurance be purchased, Regent University will not reimburse the traveler for the expense. Print a copy of the Regent University Auto Insurance ID Card and the Accident Information Brochure , which all travelers should carry with them for proof of insurance coverage, and for information on what to do in case of an accident.

back to top