All university contracts for services that involve university funds or service obligations require final signature authorization by the purchasing manager. The cost center manager's signature authorizes the expenses of the contract to be charged to their department budget, but does not obligate the university to the contract terms.
Please allow at least two weeks for Purchasing to adequately review and negotiate the terms of contracts. Complex contracts may require as much as one month to process.
To process a contract for service the following steps must be satisfied:
- The department initiating the contract must ensure the following information is included:
- Name, address and Social Security number or Federal Tax ID number of individual/company providing the service.
- Detailed description of service to be provided, including any supplies necessary to complete the service.
- Start/end date and time service(s) are to be provided.
- Itemized invoice of services to be completed, if applicable.
- A signature from the initiating department agreeing to the contract terms.
- An authorized signature from the cost center manager.
- Cost center, account code, and activity code (if applicable) information.
- A total or an estimated cost of the services rendered.
Note: A final/completed contract must contain three signatures; the vendor, cost center manager, and the purchasing manager. All final signatures are required for process of payment.
For questions regarding an independent contractor, click here for more information.