University paid cell phones are made available to eligible employees for university business. Eligibility includes:
- An employee who is required to respond to critical system failures or service disruptions.
- An employee who is required to have immediate communications capability to address issues/problems/emergencies.
- An employee who is required to travel more than 50% of the time.
- An employee who is required to be on call 24/7.
Supervisors should submit their requests to the Purchasing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Name and title of employee.
- A detailed description for cell phone usage (must meet eligibility requirements).
- Desired equipment and plan OR desired monthly stipend (contingent on current inventory and job duties).
- Cost center and account code to be charged (expense will be charged to department's budget).
The university will cover all or a portion of the approved cell phone depending on the justification provided. Upon approval, Purchasing will assist departments in securing cell phone service and equipment. There are two payment options available:
- University Direct Pay to Provider-Verizon Wireless is the university's preferred provider and offers Regent an 8% discount for two-year contracts. The supervisor or end user will not receive a bill. The purchasing department manages the cell phone contracts and makes payment directly to provider. Information regarding your service, equipment, and available plans should be sent to purchasing @regent.edu. Activating service or purchasing accessory items through a retail store is prohibited.
- Reimbursement to Employee-The employee opts to retain their personal cell phone contract and equipment and requests a monthly reimbursement from the university. Supervisors should submit their request to email@example.com. Monthly stipends run between $30.00-$90.00. An approval is based on the eligibility and job duties of the employee. Verizon extends the 8% discount to all Regent employees with personal plans. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cell Phone Guidelines
- Personal calls on a university owned cell phone should be kept to a minimum. Overage charges resulting from personal use should be reimbursed to the university at the end user's expense. Payment should be rendered in the same billing cycle the overage charges were incurred.
- Use of the device in any manner contrary to local, state, or federal laws will constitute misuse and result in immediate termination of cell phone privileges.
- Regent University prohibits the use of cellular equipment while driving unless the device is in hands-free mode.