Summer Orientation Advising & Registration (SOAR) FAQs
Why is this event in the middle of the summer?
Many students and parents find a summer event convenient and relaxing. This time is especially dedicated to helping students transition and parents to take care of business early, rather than waiting until a few days before school begins in the fall.
Is this event mandatory?
We highly encourage residential or commuting students (and their parents) to attend. Past participants have found this experience very beneficial. Learn more about SOAR.
Why must students register?
Your registration helps us tremendously in preparing a nice experience for you. Further, this event has a limit on the number of people who can register. Please register here.
Why is there a fee for parents, but not for students?
Good financial stewardship is a basic principle we embrace. Some costs must be deferred to attendees to cover certain expenses. However, we work diligently to keep these deferred costs as low as possible.
Why is there a limit to the number of guests each student can bring?
We encourage students to bring people who will be most directly involved and invested in their educational experience—usually their parents. Limiting the number of guests helps to focus on students and their parents and create a nice experience.
Is there anything students need to do before attending?
Yes! Students and/or parents must do the following:
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement Form and pay the Enrollment Deposit
- Set up your login to access the MyRegent system. This is very important. Students received instructions in an email from our IT department. Students should contact the Help Desk at 757.352.4076 for assistance.
- Register for the event. It is very important that we know who is coming! Further, space at the event is limited, so early registration is recommended. Students should register themselves and their guests here.
- Think of questions to ask. This event is for you! Transitioning to a University experience is both rewarding and challenging. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your experience.
- Complete the pre-event student inventory. This will help our advising team understand your particular needs for class registration.
Is there anything students need to bring?
Yes! Students should bring a sleeping bag or blankets, pillow, and towels, as well as any personal hygiene items (e.g., toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc.). In addition, students should bring several changes of clothes, as some of our activities may prompt students to change clothes afterward. Further, while the weather is normally beautiful and very warm, please bring a light sweatshirt or something with sleeves if you are sensitive to air conditioning, an umbrella, and very comfortable shoes. Finally, students sensitive to the sun should bring sunscreen/sunblock.
Where will students and their guests sleep?
All students attending SOAR will sleep in the Regent Commons residence halls for the first night of the event. Students will be required to return their swipe card and room key, and check out by 5:00 p.m. on the second day.
We have provided a list of nearby accommodations for parents and guests.