Top 10 Signs of a Great Resume
- Most resumes should be one page in length.
- Use bullets to make your resume less cluttered.
- Contact information should be at the top of your resume. Include: name, local address, phone number, and email.
- Include an objective or summary of your qualities. An objective is a brief statement about the type of job you are seeking and your key qualifications. A summary presents your most marketable attributes for the job.
- An experience section can follow your objective or summary. It allows you to match up your job experiences with the employer's needs. Include: the name of the organization, the location, the job title, and the dates of employment.
- List your job experiences in inverse chronological order with the most recent first. You may also include relevant skills and volunteer experience.
- The education section can follow the objective/ summary or the experience section. Include: name, location, and degree of any universities attended, excellent academic performance like G.P.A or magna cum laude, and certificates or special training from a training program.
- Use one font throughout your resume. Differ font sizes and use bold and italic words to highlight various sections.
- Revise your resume several times to get rid of grammatical errors and irrelevant information.
- Your goal is to clearly sell your credentials to employers.
Crafting a Perfect Cover Letter
- To get past the first hurdle, a cover letter needs to be well-written.
- While your resume might be the same for all employers, your cover letter should be personalized to a specific job.
- Address your cover letter to a specific person.
- Let your reader know the specific position or job you are applying for.
- Use examples from other jobs and experiences to highlight your skills for a particular job.
- Explain how their job matches up with your skills, education, and experiment.
- Identify how you will follow through in your last paragraph.
- Similar to resumes, cover letters should be one page in length.
- Don't forget to sign the letter at the bottom.
For more resume help, contact the College of Arts & Sciences Career Services at 757.352.4348 or firstname.lastname@example.org.