Some of these benefits are unique to the national political science honor society. Others apply to members of any honor society recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
- Membership in an honor society is a worthy distinction in itself, and as a measure of academic achievement can provide a tangible advantage in a competitive world.
- All Pi Sigma Alpha members, regular and honorary, receive a certificate of membership and permanent enrollment in the society's membership data base, maintained by the National Office.
- Upon request, the National Office will provide letters verifying membership to prospective employers or graduate schools.
- NEW!! Pi Sigma Alpha has joined with Experience.com to provide members with access to a jobs data base. Visit http://pisigmaalpha.experience.com to sign up!
- Because Pi Sigma Alpha is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS), the U. S. Office of Personnel Management allows its members to apply for federal government positions listed at a higher entry-level grade than non-member candidates.
- Members are entitled to wear the Pi Sigma Alpha key at any time, and the medallion and honor cord with cap-and-gown at graduation and on other official occasions.
- Members may apply for the Pi Sigma Alpha/Howard Penniman Scholarships for Graduate Study in Political Science, scholarships for Washington Semester programs, and for Best Paper Awards. All ACHS honor society student members are also entitled to automatic tuition reductions for Washington internship programs run by the Washington Internship Institute , the Fund for American Studies , and The Washington Center .
- The National Office supports the awarding by each chapter of a one-year student membership in the American Political Science Association for one member each year.
See the Programs section of this website for details of all these programs and awards.
Pi Sigma Alpha gives students the opportunity for valuable administrative experience as chapter officers or organizers of chapter activities. Chapters can compete for the Chapter Activity Grants awarded each year by the National Office.