Foreign Language Proficiency Testing
Proficiency in a foreign language is essential for a student's educational, professional, and competitive advantage in the twenty-first century. In many areas of government and foreign affairs, foreign language proficiency is a job requirement and certainly an important skill for greater leadership and service. Government students are encouraged to learn and acquire mastery of a foreign language and to demonstrate this proficiency in their professional resumes and job applications. One of the best ways in which to do this is through a foreign language proficiency exam.
What is Language Proficiency Testing?
Language Testing International (LTI), the testing office for the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), currently arranges proficiency assessments for over 50 foreign languages and serves dozens of universities in the United States as well as numerous corporations and departments within the U.S. federal government. Regent University and LTI have partnered to provide this assessment opportunity to Regent undergraduate government students.
LTI Specifics for Government Students at Regent University
- Regent University government students who desire to test their proficiency in a foreign language need to apply and register for their test online.LTI conducts the examination via a live 20-30 minute telephonic interview. You must call from a land line - NO EXCEPTIONS! RSU Government students are responsible for paying $134 USD for each examination. This fee will be paid directly to LTI.
- LTI will provide students with two assessment scores:
- An ACTFL Score (e.g., Intermediate Low, Intermediate High, etc.)
- An Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) Score used by all US federal agencies
- ACTFL's Retest Policy is that students must wait at least 90 days before taking the test again.
- Please read the ACTFL OPI Fact Sheet with Proficiency Descriptors for more specific information.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Current list of Assessment Languages
- ACTFL's Retest Policy