Non-Degree & Deferring Applicants

Request Information

Non-degree Applicants

A lawyer or other professional who would like to increase his or her knowledge in highly-specialized and rapidly-changing fields of law may apply for admission as a non-degree student for a maximum of 18 credit hours.

Non-degree students:

  • May not transfer earned credits toward a degree-granting curriculum within the law school.
  • Are not eligible to receive financial aid and will submit all course assignments and participate in exams.
  • Must submit Regent's JD application according to the instructions for non-degree applicants outlined in the application.
  • Must hold a cumulative earned GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale from a law or graduate school.
  • May pursue enrollment in selected classes at Regent Law, although priority registration is granted to students earning degrees from Regent University.

Deferring Applicants

On a case-by-case basis, a student may be granted a maximum one-year deferment, which is generally due to a medical, financial, or unique family circumstance.

Students who apply for deferment must:

  • Submit a written request outlining the reasons for the deferment request.
  • Subsequently submit an abbreviated admissions application update, including the character and fitness statement. A non-refundable enrollment deposit will be required of the student prior to matriculation the next year.

Individuals not granted deferment may reapply as a new applicant at a later time. Since the law school financial aid budget is established yearly, those students who have been granted deferment must reapply for financial aid for the year in which they plan to matriculate. Scholarships and/or awards granted previously by the law school may not necessarily apply. Deferred applicants are encouraged to reapply for financial aid concurrent with the abbreviated admissions application update.

A joint degree student who begins his/her studies at Regent in the other school is automatically granted a one-year deferment to the law school.