Externship FAQ

Judicial Externship Links

Externship Home        Approved Sites       FAQ        Proposal Packet


I am interested in completing an externship, what is the process?
First, find a placement site. The site cannot be a law firm; it must be a governmental or judicial unit; and the student must be supervised by an attorney. Once the site has agreed to supervise your externship, you will need to submit an Externship Proposal and an Individual Study Form. When the externship is approved, you may register for the appropriate number of credit hours. 

What form or authorization do I need?               
You must submit one signed copy of an Externship Proposal and an Individual Study Form to Anca Potoan in Robertson Hall 352.

How many credits can I earn with an externship?
You may request a maximum of 3 credit hours per term but no more than 5 credit hours in your law school career. You must work 50 hours, excluding lunches that are not related to the externship: 1 credit (50 hours), 2 credits (100 hours), 3 credits (150 hours). You cannot receive credit for any hours worked prior to approval.

Where can I find a list of approved externship sites?
A list of approved externship sites can be found here.

I would like to work at a site that is not on the approved list. How do I obtain approval?
The site must be a governmental or judicial unit and the student must be supervised by an attorney; the site cannot be a law firm. The student and the site supervisor must prepare a statement of goals and objectives for the externship and related activities through which the goals and objectives will be achieved. An email from your site supervisor attached to your application will satisfy this requirement.

Submit your application for approval to Professor Boland’s assistant, Anca Potoan, RH 352. Then, we will forward your application to Dean Cook for a final approval. Once a site is approved, it does not need to be reapproved each semester. However, if a site is vacant for several semesters and/or if the supervisor changes, it may have to be resubmitted and reapproved. New site approval can take several weeks. Please submit your documents for approval well before the deadline. 

What are the deadlines for new site approvals?
Fall semester: June 1st
Spring semester: October 15th
Summer semester: March 1st

Can I receive compensation as an extern?
As a general rule, students may not receive compensation for their externships. On rare occasions, exceptions can be made. For example, if the externship placement is overseas requiring inordinate travel and living expenses, the student may accept a grant. The exception must be granted by the Curriculum Committee.

Can I accept a PILAR stipend to defray living expenses incurred with a summer externship? 
A PILAR stipend is permissible only to defray actual living expenses incurred with the externship. The PILAR stipend is not permissible if you will be living at home or where you customarily live during the school year. If you accepted an externship in Jacksonville, Fla., and your home is in Miami, Fla., you must pay for housing during your externship.

Judicial and Governmental Externship Proposal Packet Instructions

All the information requested on the Externship Proposal is required. Please do not submit the proposal until it is completed, signed, and dated. The Individual Study Form must be submitted along with the Proposal Packet.

Click here to access the Externship Proposal Packet
Click here to access the Individual Study Form

If you are unsure of the specific tasks you will perform or whether you will be able to supply any work product, please state that in your Proposal and give an estimated time when that information will be provided to Professor Boland.

Please insure that the information in the "Plan for Review and Evaluation of Externship" section of the Proposal is complete before submission. You can copy it verbatim. 

Please sign and date your proposal and submit it along with the completed Individual Study Form. You may scan or email the forms to Anca Potoan.

If you are requesting new site approval, please submit any documentation you have from the site supervisor accepting you as an extern along with the Proposal and Individual Study Forms. New site approval requests are expected to be submitted by the following dates:

Fall semester: April 15th
Spring semester: October 15th
Summer semester: March 1st

In addition, please attach a statement from the site supervisor for the new site that includes a statement of goals and objectives for the externship and the proposed activities by which the goals and objectives will be achieved. (An email from the supervisor is acceptable.) 

All new sites must be approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Student Services. This process can take several weeks; please submit your proposal promptly.