K-12 Special Education (M.Ed.) -

Steps to Initial Licensure

(For students NOT already employed by a Virginia school division.)

The Collegiate Professional License and the Postgraduate Professional License is a five-year renewable license available to an individual who has satisfied all requirements for Licensure, including the professional teacher's assessment prescribed by the Board of Education.

Students who are NOT already employed by a Virginia school division and are applying for a Virginia license for the first time are responsible for submitting a completed licensure application packet (to include the materials listed below) to Kenyetta Veal, Certification Officer in the School of Education. When the packet is complete, she will sign the college verification form and forward it to the Virginia Department of Education. In order to complete the packet, students must do the following:

  1. Complete the Application for Virginia Licensure required by the Virginia Department of Education. The application packet can be obtained from the following website: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/application.pdf.

  2. Submit the College Verification Form in which you complete Part I only. Parts II and III will be completed by the Certification/Licensure Official (Kenyetta Veal). The verification form is included in the licensure application packet mentioned in step one.

  3. Please include all OFFICIAL transcripts from all colleges and universities in your packet that you send to the School of Education (Please remember: official transcripts MUST remain sealed). This includes an official Regent University transcript. All transcripts must show the grades for your final semester of classes and the awarding of your degree.

  4. Documentation of official passing scores for the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment, Praxis II (if applicable), Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) Assessment, and Child Abuse and Neglect Training Certificate must be sent to the School of Education. Copies may be submitted for use in the licensure packet. **As a reminder, please remember to list Regent University as a score recipient when registering to take the VRA and VCLA with National Evaluation Services (NES) or Praxis with Educational Testing Services (ETS) so that we receive your official score report. Our school code with ETS is #5135. Listing Regent University as a score recipient during the time of registering for the test prevents you from having to pay an additional fee if you make the request at a later time. We must have the official score report from the testing company and not only an unofficial copy.

  5. Documentation that verifies completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and the use of automated external defibrillators (AED). The certification or training program shall be based on the current national evidence-based emergency cardiovascular care guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator, such as a program developed by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross. For answers to frequently asked questions, please visit: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/administrators/superintendents_memos/2013/156-13a.pdf.

  6. Send Kenyetta Veal a certified check, cashier’s check, personal check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia. The in-state fee is $50 and the out-of-state fee is $75. Note: The fee is determined by the address on your application. A $25 processing fee is assessed for a returned check.

If you are an out-of-state student in the program also pursuing an out-of-state license, please contact the appropriate Department of Education agency in that state to verify their state’s procedures. Most states have an institutional or college verification form similar to Virginia’s. You may have this form sent to my attention below and I will complete it and return it to you once you have successfully completed the program.

Mail the completed application packet and fee to the address below. We recommend that you track your application packet by mailing them via FedEx, USPS, or UPS.

Regent University, School of Education
ATTN: Kenyetta Veal
1000 University Drive ADM 266
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
You may also hand-deliver your packet to the Administration Building, Suite 266
(see campus map) PDF 124K.

Should you have any further questions about this process, please contact the designated certification/licensure official, Kenyetta L. Veal at kenyvea@regent.edu, 757-352-4873 or 888-713-1595.