Certificate in Gifted & Talented Education
The Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education provides specialized teacher training to prepare educators to develop and deliver effective instructional opportunities for students identified as Gifted and Talented in public and private schools. The Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education program highlights the unique educational and developmental needs of gifted students, and how to develop appropriate curriculum, instruction and assessment activities when working with gifted and talented students. Upon completion of the certificate, individuals may apply to the Virginia Department of Education to add the Gifted Endorsement to their teaching certificate. Learn more about Licensure Regulations from the Virginia Department of Education.
Program Highlights Include:
- Results: Certificate in Gifted & Talented Education.
- Length: Certificate may be completed in 12 months.
- EDCO 501 Strategic Planning & Program Evaluation (3 credits)
- EGTL 500 Introduction to Gifted and Talented Learners (3 credits)
- EGTL 510 Curriculum & Instruction for Gifted Learners (3 credits)
- EGTL 520 Models & Strategies for Teaching the Gifted (3 credits)
- EGTL 530 Psychology & Education of Gifted Learners (3 credits)
- EGTL 580 Practicum in Gifted Education (2 credits)*
- Format: Courses are offered online with interactive coursework. Some face-to-face courses may be offered at Virginia Beach. Students may begin the program in the fall, spring, or summer semesters.
- Credit Hours: 17 credit hours.
- Cost: $200 per credit hour
*Practicum: Includes 45-hours of practicum work in a gifted classroom. Prospective students are encouraged to consult with their school administration regarding the practicum requirement and its fulfillment as a contracted school employee.
Speak with an Admissions Counselor: