Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Distance Education
- Roxie Godfrey, Ed.D.
2009 Virginia FCS
Teacher of the Year
Regent Graduate, 2005
"A Regent education will open doors for you. It certainly has for me."
Read Roxie's Story»
The Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) is delivered primarily online (along with one-week summer residencies) and is designed to facilitate the learning styles of adults and provide a collaborative community for higher-level thinking and problem solving. The problem-based curriculum, applied dissertation projects, and individually designed concentration allow for a tailor-made program. Undergirding the entire program is critical thinking, scholarly research, writing, and learning from a Christian worldview. The capstone project, as with any doctoral program, is the submission and defense of a doctoral dissertation.
Spring & Summer 2015 Cohorts:
Ed.D. cohorts will begin in January and mid-June. A four-day residency will be held July 13-16, 2015 at our Virginia Beach Campus.
Doctor of Education in Distance Education Highlights:
Length: 60 credit hours. May be completed in as little as 3 years.
Format: Offered in a cohort model. Students may begin the program in the spring or summer semesters. Courses are delivered online with some required face-to-face components. School division cohorts are also offered in varying formats.
Results: Doctor of Education in Distance Education degree. The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) is awarded after completion of 30 credit hours. The Doctor of Education degree is awarded after completion of 60 credit hours.
Important Links: Apply Now | Tuition & Financial Aid | Faculty |Course Schedule
Features: Online coursework, concentration and dissertation advisor, on-campus residencies.
The online Doctor of Education in Distance Education is designed for K-12, higher education and corporate educators involved in leadership in online and distance education. The Ed.D. in Distance Education builds upon the principles of curriculum, instruction, assessment and evaluation provided in the core courses by applying these principles to a distance education setting with emphasis on program development and management of online learning. This online doctoral program with a distance education concentration considers research and effective practices along a continuum of distance education delivery models and learning technologies to prepare a student for leadership and career opportunities in online education. The research done by students is usually applied research, that is, searching for solutions to distance education problems or seeking ways to deliver new research-based educational concepts or services to individuals, organizations, families or groups at a distance. Read dissertation abstracts of students in the online Ed.D. in Distance Education program.
The online Doctor of Education in Distance Education will prepare you for educational technology leadership positions in K-12, higher education, or corporate learning settings. Graduates are equipped to become leaders in online and distance education in positions such as university faculty, program directors, or technology administrators within educational organizations.
Hot Academic Jobs of the Future
"Ph.D.s and Ed.D.s are in high demand, and will be for some time." - Mark David Milliron
Doctor of Education in Distance Education graduates will be able to:
- Identify, respond to, and lead in important local, national, and global educational issues in a Christ-like manner from informed biblical perspectives.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of how key theories inform planning, administration, policy, and professional practice.
- Evaluate educational research from theoretical and methodological perspectives in order to determine its contribution to policy and professional practice.
- Solve problems associated with planning, administration, policy, and professional practice by
- analyzing data;
- synthesizing information; and
- applying critical thinking
- Provide intellectual leadership in producing and communicating action research to significantly impact respective professional spheres of education.
- Demonstrate integrity, fairness, and ethical behavior in a Christ-like manner in planning, administration, policy development, problem solving, and professional practice.