Wife (Rose), one daughter (Emily), one grandson (Stephen), one granddaughter (Katherine Rose), a daughter (Annette) deceased at age 27.
- B.A. in Psychology, Westmont College, 1957
- B.D., Fuller Theological Seminary, 1962
- Th.M., Fuller Theological Seminary, 1967. Thesis: Reception of the Holy Spirit in the New Testament Church
- Ph.D., University of Nottingham, 1982. Dissertation: Eschatological Delay in Jewish and Early Christian Apocalyptic
Service in Educational Institutions
- 1982 to the present: Regent University, School of Divinity
- Professor (1993- present)
- Associate Professor (1987-1993)
- Assistant Professor (1982-86)
- 1972-78: Dean and Instructor with Trinity Christian Training Institute
- (Gulf Coast, Miss.), a lay program which merged with Trinity
Christian Community of New Orleans in 1975. Duties included
directing urban ministry training for students in Summers of
- 1964-69: Instructor, Jamaica Theological Seminary (undergraduate theological seminary in the West Indies).
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Paper requested at annual conference in 1997.
- Society for Pentecostal Studies
- Papers presented at annual conferences in 1984, 1987, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2002.
- Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research
- The Institute for Biblical Research
- The Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper presented in 1998, 2002.
- 1997: Divinity Professor of the Year, 1996-97
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year at Regent University (shared with one other faculty member in the School of Communication and the Arts)
- 2003: Award for 20 years of “Distinguished Service” at Regent
- 1973 "Idea of an Imminent Parousia in the Synoptic Gospels," Studia Biblical et Theologica 3 (1973), 15-31.
- 1988 "A Lesson from Matthew's Gospel for Charismatic Renewal," Faces of Renewal, ed. P. Elbert (Hendrickson), 48-63.
- 1989 A review of French Arrington's The Acts of the Apostles in Pneuma 11 (1989), 138-40 (adapted from paper given at 1989 SPS Conference).
- 1990 Six Greek word studies in The Complete Biblical Library (Gospel Publishing House).
- 1991 Commentaries on I and II Peter and Jude in The Spirit-Filled Life Bible, ed. J. W. Hayford (Nelson).
- 1993 Article in Paraclete (Fall), "A Response to Roger Stronstad's 'The Biblical Precedent for Historical Precedent,'" 11-14.
- 1994 "Paul's Preaching Cognitive and Charismatic." in Spirit and Renewal: Essays in honor of J. Rodman Williams, ed. M. W. Wilson. Journal of Pentecostal Theology Supplement Series 5 (Sheffield Academic Press).
- 1996 "Titus 3:5-6: A Window on World-Wide Pentecost." Journal of Pentecostal Theology 8 (1996), 53-62.
- 1996 Till Jesus Comes: Origins of Christian Apocalyptic Expectation ("Hendrickson)
- 1997 Article in Charisma (November). "Which Translation is Best for You." 59.
- 1998 Article in Emphasis on Faith and Life (April-May), "The Biblical Basis of Missions.
- 2002 Review Of Clark H, Pinnock: Journey Toward Renewal—An Intellectual Biography, In Pneuma 24:1 (2002), 67-71.
- An associate pastor of the Marquette (Michigan) Missionary Church, 1969-70.
- Founding pastor of the Upland (Indiana) Evangelical Church, 1970-71
Present Church Affiliations
- Ordained minister with the Missionary Church.
- Member of the First Baptist Church of Norfolk