Located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, Tidewater Stage is the professional theatre company of Regent University. Our 2016 summer season includes the musical revue The Marvelous Wonderettes by Roger Bean and Freud’s Last Session by Mark St. Germain.
|General auditions for both shows will be held on Sunday, April 3 from 7-9 pm. Callbacks will be held on Sunday, April 10 for The Marvelous Wonderettes (2-5 pm) and Freud’s Last Session (7-9 pm).|
|Studio Theatre, Regent University’s Performing Arts Center.|
|$1,200 stipend; local hire only.|
|Rehearsals for The Marvelous Wonderettes may begin as early as May 16; performances run June 17-26. Freud’s Last Session will begin rehearsals on July 13; performances run July 29-Aug. 7. Rehearsals will use a combination of day and evening hours..|
|Perform a monologue appropriate to the show in which you would like to be cast. Time limit is 1.5 minutes. Singers will have additional time to perform 16 bars of a musical theater song or 50's/60's pop song. Choose a song that shows off your personality. Accompanist provided. Please bring sheet music in correct key.|
|Eric Harrell, Producing Artistic Director, will be casting both productions.|
Character Breakdown forThe Marvelous Wonderettes
All roles available. Seeking four females to play 18-28, any ethnicity, who can sing, move well and have strong comic timing.
- Betty Jean is the self-anointed clown of the group, always vying for attention from her best friend Cindy Lou. Cindy Lou steals Betty Jean’s boyfriend away, causing a lot of the friction at the prom; she holds this grudge against Cindy Lou, until they make up at the 10-year reunion. Alto with strong low range.
- Cindy Lou is the "bad girl" of the group. It seems that things always go her way, making Betty Jean crazy. She makes the biggest change between Acts I and II, having learned the lessons of true love and loss. Mezzo Soprano with belt; sings melody line on most songs.
- Missy is the over-achiever of the group, always ready to jump in and cover for others’ mistakes. She is head of the prom decorations committee and absolutely smitten with her music teacher. She has been best friends with Suzy since elementary school. Soprano with wide range and very high vocals; also needs ability to belt/mix.
- Suzy is happy-go-lucky, a little giddy, and a little silly. She finds great pleasure in everything she does; the sillier it is, the more fun she finds it. Her best friend is Missy. Mezzo Alto with a sweet, soulful sound, and big belts.
Character Breakdown for Freud’s Last Session
All roles available. Seeking two males, Caucasian. Actors do not need to be the exact ages of the historical characters indicated below, but they should be able to play near them in a convincing manner.
- Sigmund Freud: An aging Viennese psychologist, 83 years old, who has fled the beginnings of World War II and taken refuge in London; battling cancer of the mouth, but is still a brilliant thinker; born into the Jewish faith but has become an atheist; founder of Psychoanalysis.
- C.S. Lewis: Christian theologian converted from atheism, and at 40 years old still forming many of the opinions and thoughts that he will write about later in life; an Oxford don, Christian apologist, and future author of The Chronicles of Narnia.
Make an audition appointment!
To request an appointment to audition, email your name and phone number to email@example.com. You will be emailed an appointment time between the hours listed above. If you do not receive a confirmation email within three (3) business days, please call Rae Wilmot at (757) 352- 4002.